1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

will a 17 HP motor work with a 61" deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheKingNJ, Jan 8, 2004.

1. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a 52” Scag Hydrostatic walk behind mower with a 17 HP kawi. Engine. The guy who sold it to me also gave me a 61” deck that he said I can also put on to the mower. When I was on Scag’s website I notice that scag won’t sell a mower with a 61” deck with anything less then a 21 HP motor. Will I have any problems running the 61” deck with a 17 HP motor? The 61” deck needs some work, spindles, belts, blades, paint and I was wondering if it is worth fixing and using or should I just try and sell it?

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

i saw that on ebay. sell the 61", not worth money to fix since you need at least 19-20hp to run it. it might work if walking and in normal growth but IMO not worth risking your money on. sell the 61" and buy a used or cheap new (from ebay) Proslide with the money, 17hp is fine for 52" w/Proslide and it would be as fast as walking behind a low powered 61". good luck with it. what did you end up paying for it?
  3. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

I would not recommend it. I have 17HP kaw. on my 48" Scag WB and sometimes I have problems in tall wet grass. I don't mean major problems, just my productivity goes down. I couldn't imagine what would happen with a 61" deck. I don't know what your money situation is, but you could obtain the correct/better engine for the 61" deck. Just a suggestion.
  4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 17HP on a 48" WB. I think it is perfectly matched. But for a 61" you would have to walk at a snails pace to get a decent cut with only 17HP. Unless we have a drought this year in which case it would be perfect.
  5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Would it work? Maybe, but I don't think it will have the power you are looking for. I run 18hp on 52" belt drives. I would have to say I would not go under 20hp for the same size hydro. :cool:
  6. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

If I sell the deck how much should I ask for it??
  7. LawnCrafters

LawnCrafters LawnSite Member

I have a Ferris 61" hydro with a 17hp Kaw and I can tell you first hand that it's underpowered. Like was said before, it's fine in regular growth at moderate speed. It bogs a lot in heavy growth or high speeds. I think Ferris realized this too since they now put 23hp Kaws on their 61" hydros.
  8. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Underpowerd id stick a 23 on a 61", Ive got a 17 Kaw on one of my 52 Walks and wish id put atleast a 20 on it, cuts great but in the early spring it puts alittle strain on it, have to cut slower than i pefer.........Marks Mowing Service
  9. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

You would be lucky to give that deck away. It needs work, has already been patched once, and its outdated.
  10. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I have a 48" Scag with a 17hp Kawi and it cuts great. I feel it has plenty of power with this size deck. However, I think it would be way underpowered on a 61" deck. 52" is fine with a 17 Kawi but I think you would really be sacrificing quality of cut if you go to a 61" deck on that motor.

You would have to be cutting in optimal conditions all the time and we all know that this never happens on a day to day basis.