1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

will a 3/4 ton tow a 20 ton trailer?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Jun 17, 2012.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Some of these comments are really cracking me up.
  2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Accident waiting to happen.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

Not that it is right, but it is done all the time. A large farm down the road from me has a couple large liquid manure spreaders that they rent out through a dealer. They go up to a hour away and farmers that rent them usually tow them with pickups, they have lights but I am pretty sure they have no brakes. I see AG dealers and distributors pull large heavy tanks and implements with out brakes with 3/4 ton's. This is not just on side roads they run HWY's to. Like I said, it's not right but it happens all around us everyday.
  4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack LawnSite Senior Member

Like it was posted before drain the air out the tank and the trailer with free wheel, 9000 pounds isn't a whole lot of weight for the truck to free wheel in the grand scheme of things, is it the best idea ,not really but I'd do it and not think twice about it. But seeing how you have a big truck you should just take that , DOT won't bat an eye at you , the pick up looks like your trying to get away with something , they can't see in your pocket that's you only have a permit
  5. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Doesnt seem to be an issue anyhow. I made a CL add that says "eager beaver guy, you are not getting my emails" This guy must be pretty dumb.
  6. jmacd

jmacd LawnSite Member

Some reasons why you shouldn't besides the obvious.

The trailer tongue will be to high off the ground for your truck unless you move the pintle down.

The trailer tongue weight is to heavy. Your truck is a 3/4 not even a one ton.

Safety chains are to large to go through the holes on your hitch.

The electrical is not a standard flat pin. Round pin.

A 12 ton trailer yes but a twenty ton completely different trailer.

You should go get it with your dump truck, cdl or not it is the correct way. You get pulled over the ticket is a lot less than wreaking your pickup, trailer, and killing someone. You will also be able to see if the trailer works correctly for you when you hook it up to the tow vehicle you plan on using.

You will need the practice driving.
  7. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 LawnSite Bronze Member

this seriously made me laugh so hard
  8. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

well i got my cdl a on tuesday so if i find a trailer i'll take the dump truck