Will a 36" Walk Behind fit in an 8' truck bed?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mister_snowplow, Jan 19, 2005.

1. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow LawnSite Member

After a full season of leaf removal and snow plowing, this coming spring I will be starting the lawn maintenance side of my lawn maintenance/snow plowing business (my company is registered and I am fully insured). I am looking into buying a 36" Scag SWZ Hydro walk-behind because the lawns I will be servicing are not huge, and I honestly don't have the room or money for a ZT Riding mower yet. I live in a multifamily house so I also don't have room for a trailer at this moment. My question to you is would a 36" walk-behind fit in an 8' truck bed...and would I be able to push it up the ramps I built for my snowblower?

Thanks for the help! This site is a goldmine of information! :waving:

2. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

With the discharge chute up it should fit. Most fullsize trucks have about 48" or 49" between the wheelwells. Length should not be a problem either. As far as the ramps,the longer the better. Maybe at least 7' or 8' might be ok.
    Chris

3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

A "normal" pickup truck bed, 8', will easily fit a 36". Will also fit a 48" very well. Something to think about is taking off the bed and building your own wooden flat bed, you will be able to fit much more equipment.

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

We have put a 36" walkbehind in a Ford Ranger, short bed pickup. It just fit lengthwise. Side to side was just fine. you should have no problem with your truck

5. mister_snowplow

Great...thanks for the help! :D

6. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 32" walkbehind and an 8 foot bed and it fits with plenty of room to spare, I also built a ramp for it and i just drive it up in reverse, if i had to push it up i wouldn't be able to.

Green Envy Lawn Mowing

7. pgiambat

pgiambat LawnSite Member

Mister Snowplow,
    I just posted this crazy big drawing I did of my (36" in the back of a pickup) setup. It kicks butt for me. I do about 25 cuts a week (full time day job) and this set up allows me to "Stick and Move" and make money.

Here is the link to the post:
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=93018

Here is the drawing (I love MsPaint), hit me back and let me know what you think:
    [​IMG]

8. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Wow, pgiambat, must be the slow season for you! Quite the drawing!

9. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like an engineer to me!

10. mister_snowplow

pgiambat,
    Thanks for passing along your idea and diagram. I downloaded the diagram, which will work perfect for me! :waving: I'll take some pictures and let you know how it goes when I build it. Thanks again!