will a 52 fit on a pick up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by paddy, May 1, 2000.

1. paddy

paddy LawnSite Member

I don't have a trailer, I don't really want to take that step. Now i have a 36, it easily fits in my truck, i know a 48 will fit between the wheels (my uncle does it). If I load it so that the caster wheels are between the wheel wells, and the back wheels are on the tailgate, then I chain it down good. Do you think a 52 inch mower would fit on my truck? I would like to get a great dane/wright, would they fit better? do you think a floating deck (scag ultimate/turf tracer/ toro) would fit, does the floating make the mower wider or longer?

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

48" is about as wide as you can go and fit in a standard pick-up.

3. Tony S

Tony S LawnSite Member

I have goten 2 52" walkbehinds both in a 8' pickup bed at one time. (tailgate left down) I have only done this once when I first bought them. It will fit, but you won't have much room for anything else.

4. paddy

paddy LawnSite Member

how were they aranged? did you have to lift them?

5. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

now that i don't have a trailer i have to put my mowers in the back of the truck and we fit a 52" and a 48" in the truck with the tailgate down. I put the 52" in first by lifting the deck over and it fits perfeect.(it's a fixed deck hydro walkbehind) then the 48" right behind it.

6. mountainviewland

mountainviewland LawnSite Member

I used to put one on a standard 8' bed. I have a tailgate ramp and I backed it up the ramp. I have also seen guys build a platform above the wheels for the mower to sit on. then they slid trimmers and oter tools under it.