Will a chevy 350 dump be enough?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Shady Brook, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Any opinions on whether or not a chevy with a 350 or a dodge with a 360 will safely and effectively pull a 7,000 lb trailer all day everyday? I am looking at a 97 dodge and 99 chevy with the 360 and 350. I expect to have three guys in the truck with 1,000 to 4,000 pounds in the bed at all times. I will also have a trailer on the back in the 6-7 thousand pound range. Driving will be a mix of highway and city. I don't know what either motor is rated to pull. I know a diesel would be better but I am not sure I want to spend the money on a new enough truck to get the duramax. I would love the cummins, but they are hard to find in a CC configuration. I will be takeing a step down from my powerstroke and cummins in my other truck, but want to know if it is workable. The chevy has 93k, and the dodge 113. I am sure both will be gas gusseling hogs and after hooking up those loads would be just as well off with a 3500hd 454. I don't want another powerstroke, to many bill with my last unit.

Anyway, looking for some thoughts.
    Thanks

2. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldnt have any doubts about a 350 , I cant speak for the Dodge however I see no reason why it wouldnt work. The 250 is a very capable motor. 2 of our truck have 5.7's and they fine. There no Cummins or Duramax but they will pull plenty.

My 00' K2500 pulls our 14' dump trailer all the time and yes it works it hard but I never doubt the power.

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Might give the 7.4 some more thought with that amound of weight. I tend to think the 360 is a bit of the doggy side. (comes from driving a 1989 1 ton that my old fire department had.)

I have a 350 in a 1996 3/4 that does alright for pulling. I pulled a fire truck 7000 LBS on a gooseneck across the state, it did okay. I was pulling into a head wind and the mileage was poor.

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

There is no replacement for displacement when it comes to gas pots. I think for what you want to do your going to kill the poor 350. Its a small engine you really do need the 454.

As for the Dodge 360 it will burn more fuel as the 454 Chev the 360 is a pig on fuel I know guys with them that only get 6mpg in a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck.

As for a regular 1 ton dually with a mason dump for what you want to do a regular 1 ton with 4000lbs is going to be loaded you won't beable to pull a trailer. If you want to stick with Chevy then you will have to find a 3500HD or if you want a Ford with a 460 or 7.3 IDI then look at a 88-94 F-Superduty (F-450).

Dodge is out because even their 1 ton cab and chassis is only one step above a 3/4 ton.

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

a 350 is no dought up to the job. The 350 will handle it day in and day out, but you can't expect it to pull like a 454 or a Duramax/powerstroke. The 350 chevy has been the "standard" for years, and for many ppl. it is still the standard by which other motors are compared.

it's a great dependable motor, it's just not gonna be the quickest thing on the road, and it's gonna burn the fuel.