Will a Diamond Plow Fit?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by RB, Jan 29, 2001.

1. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 7.5 Meyer ST and I'd like to replace it with a Diamond 8. I have an E60 pump and a Meyer EZ mount. Can I just hook the Diamond 8 footer up?

Thank you
    Ron

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Nope,

Diamond connects to the frame which is very Different. You will also need to get a Diamond frame kit, which is much stronger than the Meyer kit. Diamond also uses bigger pins, and has a different connecting design. However you do have the right pump, you want an E 60.

What type of truck is it?

Geoff

3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

woaaaaaah RB
    Didnt you sing the praises of that plow a few days ago??
    Dino

4. RB

Dino - lol. Yes I still like Meyer plows. I like my old used plow (33" tall) I bought. I was talking about replacing a ST 90" blade.

The other day was the first time I saw a Diamond blade and it looked very stong. I just picked up two small private roads and I'm starting to think about a trip edge.

I would be installing this blade on a 2000 Chev. 2500.

Thanx
    Ron

5. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

RB, I hate to say this but I would just get a bigger meyers. The diamond plow is too heavy for your gm front end. I had to put $1,500. into my 97 one-ton at 42,000 mi with a 9ft western on it. The front end was junk. My friend has 3 gms with fishers on them and his front ends were junk at 36,000 mi's. My 9ft western was a 100 lbs less than a 8ft fisher and diamond plows are more weight than fisher plows. So I would stay with a lighter plow, your front end will appreciate it!!

6. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

GREASE! Grease is cheaper than parts. My last truck saw almost 200,000 km on the original front end before I traded it - and it was the 1/2ton Chev diesel, not the 3/4 ton I have now. The other truck was sold off the lot in mechanically-fit condition without ball joints being R+R'd. Preventative maintenance works - on all brands.

7. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

My 97 had all the lube in the us and canada.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I've had a BOSS V on my 90 K3500 since 1994 and no problems so far with regard to the front end. I don't think that you can get much heavier than a BOSS V-Plow.

RB,

Either go with a C-8 Meyer (best choice) or buy a diamond blade and A-Frame and have a good fabricator modify the mounting ears on the "new" Diamond A-Frame to accept the Meyer truck frame. This way you could just use the old Meyer as a backup (not that youd need to). The Meyer truck frame mounts can't be that much weaker, although I've never seen a Diamond up close.

[Edited by dixie1 on 01-30-2001 at 08:11 PM]

9. RB

Thanx guys, I think I'm going to get another spreader and keep the st until next year.

Thanx for all the advise!

Ron

10. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

After seeing my First Meyer Plow today. I will say one thing. Don't use the Meyer Frame kit to run a Diamond. It will not take it. It is much weaker, and uses a much different design to mount the plow.

Geoff