Will a Harley Rake work on this?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Summett, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Summett

Summett LawnSite Member

I am going to dormant seed here in a couple weeks, since i missed the prime time to do it.

As you can see, some of the area i'll be seeding has these drainage ruts, and i'm wondering if using a Harely Rake prior to seeding would help fill these in.

Thanks

ruts.jpg

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

It sure will. I rented a Toro Dingo and a harley rake and it worked great. I however think you should wait on the rake rental until early spring so that you dont get rutting again if you get heavy rains or melting snow. Feel free to PM me to ask any questions about harley rake.

3. Summett

Summett LawnSite Member

Thanks cgaengineer! That's good to hear. Yeah, i'd wait until the spring, but like i said i am going to take my chances with dormant seeding just to get something going right away in the spring. It's too hard to keep the kids out of the mud one more season (spring)!

Hopefully it'll take off a little, then i can work more on it next year. If i have any more ???'s, i'll definitely touch base with you.

Thanks again!

4. jrdean62

jrdean62 LawnSite Member

A Dingo with a harley rake will handle that very well. A soil conditioner would be another great attachment to look into renting. I used a soil conditioner at my house on the 13th of this month on an area that had been under fabric and mulch for at least 5 years. THe attachment tilled and fluffed the soil and after a little fine grading with a rake I seeded. It has only been just over a week and a few sprout are starting to show. The rain last friday was a huge help.

5. Summett

Summett LawnSite Member

jrdean62, what is the difference between a harley rake and a soil conditioner? Googling both of them it looks to me as though they are pretty much the same thing (depending on which sites you look at). Though, i noticed that Cats "rake" is quite a bit different than a traditional Harley Rake.

Am i right in thinking that a Soil Conditioner is very similar to a Harley Rake?

Thanks again for the input.

6. jrdean62

jrdean62 LawnSite Member

The harley rake pulverises the surface and throws all the trash in from of the rake as it moves across the lawn. When you reach the end of each pass you will have a pile of trash to clean up. The soil conditioner tills and fluffs the soil in one pass. If you are going over a lawn with grass and weeds, the grass and weeds are burried and you are left with perfect top soil.