Will a JD 3120 tractor run a 6' bush hog?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by amarino, Jun 27, 2006.

1. amarino

amarino LawnSite Member
    from MA

The john deere compact tractor 3120 is 30.5 hp and 28.5 at the PTO. I currently have a 5' bush hog that it seems to spin fine. I have 30 arces to cut soon and the 5' is SLOW, thats why I want a 6' but afraid my tractor may be underpowered...anyone have an idea if it will work? JD dealer says it will be "marginal" and sugests I buy a bigger tractor! (which I cant afford).

Thanks in advance!

2. pcguy

pcguy LawnSite Member

I'd just rent a tractor and bush hog if you only need to do it once -- so long as your tractor suits your needs for your other duties.

3. mith

mith LawnSite Member

If you buy a 6' and it bogs in the long stuff you can take a smaller bite. Then in the short stuff do the full 6'. So go for the 6', bigger mower doesnt mean you cant take smaller bites in the tough bits.

4. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

If your 5 foot pulls easily, a six foot will not be a drastic difference on the HP requirement. It depends on what type grass you are cutting 18" is WAY different that 3 foot. ON the JD website the 3320 is rated for a 6 foot and it only has 3 more HP than you.

5. amarino

amarino LawnSite Member
    from MA

Thanks for the replies. I need to do 26 acres once a month (during summer months) and 12 more acres twice a summer, so renting a machine is not a good idea. Some grass is 18" but some is 3 to 4 feet!

I think I will try the 6'!

-AL

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Really depend bush hog gear. Probably will work with a gear that cuts up to 1" and 2 " saplings. You will need a 40hp tractor to push a 4" sapling gear(6ft). At least this is what is recommended.

7. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go for the 6' if you are just doing grass and small sapling. My 4310 (32 HP) runs a 5' with no problem.

8. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

I would look at a 6' flail mower for cutting grass.They are not great for brush,but you have a 5' brush hog.It is better to be move at 3 to 4 mph with a 5' footer than 1 to 2 mph with a 6' footer, the 5' footer will be faster in that case.Can you demo or rent a 6' brush hog to try before buying

9. doublesharp

doublesharp LawnSite Senior Member

I used a 30 hp Kioti with a 6' King Kutter. Mowed an abandoned 15 acre soybean field 3 times a year. No problem turning it and if weeds got too big just take a smaller bite.