Will a leaf loader suck up grass as well?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMower, Oct 14, 2005.

1. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I'm trying to justify buying a Little Wonder truck loader. I'm probably going to go with the Middle one, which is the 15 hours power. Can I do other things with the loader such as suck up grass? That would be nice.

Also dose anyone know of a front mounted trailer hitch that can slide into the existing Fisher Plow mount? This way here, I can put the leaf loader on the front of my truck. Im trying to figure a way to pull my trailer with the mowers as well as have the leaf loader with me ready to go.

Ive done endless searches on both subjects. It may be buried in old threads, but I'm not finding my specific answer.

Thanks to anyone who has an opinion.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Yes you can suck up grass:D

John

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search on leaf/debris loaders. You'll see a lot of pics. Some guys have them mounted on front of their trucks (may be some issues w/ driving),. Some guys place them on trailer tongue so they still can use trailer (tongue weight issue). Many have separate truck for ebris only & truck to pull trailer (thats me). There is a lot of info out there re: this. They also suck up annuals, perennials and small sticks, acorns, etc. I suggest you get one w/ a replaceable plastic liner(s), otherwise you'll be welding it 1-2X's per year.

4. LawnMower

Thank you very much guys.

5. John Gamba

from ct

:waving: :waving:

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

No, truck loaders do not suck grass very good at all. At least the 16 HP and under don't.

Gene

7. John Gamba

from ct

You must aerate first. Or fluff it up some.It makes it better if your hose comes down from the top.

John

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Gene is correct, at least if you are talking about green grass. It will, but it is slow and will clog frequently if you are not careful. I am referring to my 16hp Lesco, model LT160. Now, if you want to suck up dethatched dormant bermuda, then you are safe.

As far as mounting to a plow mount, yes, it can me done. There is a user that goes by Peligan on plowsite.com that built the unit in the picture below. Here is a picture of his. This is where I orginally got the idea for my setup. Search that site, he give detailed instructions with many picture how to build it this way.

Pelican (1) Full shot of leaf truck.jpg

9. John Gamba

from ct

The hose coming down like this.

John

TTL4.gif

10. LawnMower

Ill check out Plow site.com. I would love to be able to slide the loader into the existing Fisher plow mount.

Judging from what you guys are saying about sucking up grass. It seems like the 20 horse power may be the better way to go instead of the 16 horse.