Will a non running skid steer roll?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by blaster2005, Mar 13, 2007.

1. blaster2005

blaster2005 LawnSite Member

Will a non running skid steer roll? I realize the parking brake needs to be off. Since they are hydraulic driven, I was wanting to know if it would roll? Sometimes machines quit running and need to be loaded on a trailer! Any info would be appreciated!
  2. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Depends on the parking brake, I'd say... certain brands have plunger-style brakes that can allow movement; other brands use spring-applied, hydrualically-released brakes that don't.
  3. ians06

ians06 LawnSite Member

Yes, I had a NH ls170 and i stalled it going up a hill and it rolled all the way down, not very fun, got lucky.
  4. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty sure it depends in the way its set up. My Cat seems to automatically lock up when the seat bar is raised, never had it budge after the park brake was applied. Their is usually a way to bypass that stuff though for reasons like loading a down machine as you mentioned. On my mowers its as easy as turning a hyraulic bypass valve. On something like my cat that is applied electronically, I'm guessing it may invole a jumper wire somewhere,just a guess though.
  5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

My Cat 246 went down about two years ago and it wouldn't go anywhere. We had to drag it to the flatbed with a D3. Very lucky that machine was on site:)
  6. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

The older I get the less I know for sure, but the one thing I do know when it comes to equipment........never say never......and if it can, it will. There may be a hundred reasons why it shouldn't do what it did, but for some reason it did it anyway. If anything hasn't broke in awhile, get ready 'cause this one's gonna be a doosie!
  7. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Hey Al! Welcome back. :)
  8. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you Tigerotor..I've still been around, just not posting much.
  9. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

What this getting older !!!!!!!!!!:dancing: I thought things got better:confused:

Just buy all new with extended warranty,and when it runs out trade it for another new one with longer warranty every time.:usflag:

I thought it was sh%$ happens !!!!!!!!!! Thats what my help tells me.:walking:
  10. CarterKraft

CarterKraft LawnSite Senior Member

CAT SSLs and MTLs have a spring applied hydraulicaly released wet disc brake integrated into each drive motor. No hyd pressure no released brakes, sorry.