Will a piggyback forklift leave bad ruts?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by General Landscaping, Apr 22, 2006.

1. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have sod to go into a back yard... will the piggyback forklift leave bad ruts in a yard?

2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Depends. The smaller ones no, the bigger ones sometimes. All really depends on how wet the ground is at the time.

3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

These are the least damaging of anything that I have seen move a pallet of sod because of the wide turf tires and the way it turns.

4. MorganParadise

MorganParadise LawnSite Member

If the ground is hard it wont be a big deal you can just rake over it. If the ground has soft spots in it the front tires are not a big deal its the two small back tires that will dig in. If its wet forget it the lifts dont pull worth a dang when its wet. I drive a piggyback everyday delivering sod.

D45COV.jpg

5. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

There are some variables here...
    1 size of lift
    2 size of tires
    3 size of load
    4 hardness of ground.
    You figure it.

6. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

They will leave some depressions in sandy soil but if the operator does any kind of abrupt manuever it will damage the yard bad.
    I use my tractor whenever a lawn has to be crossed unless it has rained recently .Then we use the "Mexican Dumptruck".:)

7. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe I wasn't clear on one thing... the front yard is well established, healthy St.Augustine; not bare dirt.
    Kinda tricky to rake out ruts with a stand of turf on it:)

Idealtim
    Here your variables...
    1 The size that hangs off a semi trailer and delivers sod.
    2 The ones that come on forklifts that hang off the back of semi trailers and deliver sod
    3 A full pallet of sod
    4 Sandy, with established St.Augustine,never aerated.

What is your calculated deflection for two passes with the equipment mentioned above?

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yup sure will!

9. MorganParadise

MorganParadise LawnSite Member

Yes it will damage the grass in some fashion. If marks are going to be a problem you will need to move it in with a wheel barrow