Will a storefront help?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Smitty58, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I have an opportunity to get a office with front yard for displays. It is located on a high traffic area coming into my town. It looks like I am going to be able to have an office, store, and an area in the front yard to display some of the work we offer. The best part is I can trade rent for maintaining the grounds that are approx 3 acres.
    Do you think an office like this will increase business?
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

If you need the exposure, go for it. The only thing I would do is to actually bill each other for servcies, so you can claim it as an expense on your taxes. A display area hurts, either. Just remember if you are going to do any retail, it will require a couple extra part-time people to operate in your absence. Three acres of mowing each week is a pretty good trade for an office space, at least in WV it would be..lol. We just looked into a small garden center that recently closed, with a 2100 ft2 office / retail building and small nursery. The holding company wants $ 3250.00 plus utils/ b&o/fire fees per month, and no less than a five year lease. Go for it..
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like a great deal to me, does this include anywhere to park and or store equipment out back or do you still have to bring that home? Ide go for it
  4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

ya, I would do it. 3 acres a week is cheap for ANY office.
  5. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

It does have storage space so I can leave all my stuff there as well. If you had this, how much would try to do with the area? I'm thinking of building some displays for the hardscape stuff we do, and making the yard look as good as possible to sell our maintenance services. I could also sell mulch and fert products. I would like to hear from any of you that have a similar setup.
  6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd do it just for the fact that you only have to cut 3 acres, that a steal.
  7. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

I wish i had some grass in front of my office... That good make for a good selling point if you make it look really nice.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Selling product is a whole different ball game than selling service. Taxes have to be paid attention to. Different lic. and if you have public on the property you need different Ins.

Get professional help before you jump.