1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Will an LC deisel significantly outlast an LC gas???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Oct 29, 2000.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Will an LC deisel significantly outlast an LC gas???
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Usually the diesel will outlast a gasser of equal power,here is why.Take a 25hp diesel-typically they will turn a max of 2800-3200 Rpm's,usually weigh around 140-150lbs and displace around 1000CC.The 25hp gas will rev to 3700,weigh about 110-130 lbs and have a displacement of around 700-750 CC.The gas motor is just working harder and burning itself out faster.If you took a 32hp gas-turned it down to 25hp and the R's down to 3000-it will last a while too.The average life of a small gas L/c is in the area of 4-7K hrs if well kept.Diesels are usually 6-12K.I have a Ford Industrial Gas motor in my Jacobsen Fairway mower-it is a 1967,has over 8K hrs on it,and acts as if its barely broken in.It has 65HP @1600rpm's.Max RPM's are 2200.I think this engine will go 15K hrs easy-I attribute it to being overpowered and turning slow,as well as good maintance.I just got rid of a ransomes greensmower with a Kubota ZB600 L/C twin diesel,it was worn out at 2000hrs-it is underpowered,revs to 3600,and had only ran 1 hr a day,so it never really got hot.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have read that the Yanmar diesel has an average life of 12,000 hours if taken care of properly. I have had 3 of them and still have 2, but I've never had a LC gas engine in a mower. If you put on 600 hours a year, that would be 20 years the Yanmar should last. I would think the LC gas engine should last at least 4,000 hours. The big savings in diesel is in the fuel consumption savings. Diesel costs more, but you use a lot less. I fill my DC up every 2 days and it usually takes about 6 gallons or less to fill it after 8 hours of use. It holds 9 gallon which is about 12 hours of fuel on board. In June when I got it, the grass was growing big time with all the rain and my lawns are thick. It used .79 gallon an hour, but later on the grass slowed down and it used .75 gallon an hour. I've heard the LC gas engines are using about 1.2 gallon an hour. I hope this helps. This is about the same as what my JD diesel used when I mowed with it. When we are snow plowing with it, we add fuel after 12 hours of plowing and it holds 6 gallons, but it's not pulling hard at all and it's not empty. Diesel engines cost more, but are worth it, I feel.
  4. We have a 1978 Kubota with over 10,000 hours on it and it works every day. We have two other Kubotas also. John Deere 955 is a good compact tractor.

Johns point about rpm equals engine life is good. 200 less rpm results in longer life. Many manufactuers run the engines too hard and over rev them. Some run them too slow to meet emmissions requirements. Those Ford industrial engines are great.
  5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

When properly maintained, either will probably out last the piece of equipment it is on.
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, there is no way a DIXIE Chopper or any mower is going to last 12,000 hrs. (no offense Eric) That is simply too much engine life compared to the chassis life. Its like putting a Mercedes engine in a Yugo. Yanmars are great engines, I had a 22hp in my F935 JD and loved it. Now in a small utility tractor this is different. They are built to last 20yrs+ chassis wise. I get 1.2 g/hr on my new 27hp LC Kawi in a 60" Lazer. I was LUCKY to get 1.5 g/hr in a Kohler 25hp with a 60" cut Dixie. I paid less for the LC than I could get a 25 or 26EFI air cooled Kohler.
  7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If the old DC's with the chain drive are lasting over 15,000 hours, why wouldn't the new DC's last 12,000 hours? My dealer still has some old chain drive DC's he uses daily with over 15,000 hours. He has changed decks and motors, but drive system is all the old works. The quad loop hydro's had an average life of 4 to 6 thousand hours and with the new VTC oil, they figure it will double the life of a hydro system. The frames on a DC have a lifetime warrantee, so I guess anything is possible. At my age, I'll never wear this new one out. I think any mower can last a long time if it's taken care of and preventative maintenance is performed regularly. A competitor that I have mowed next to for the past 16 seasons, has some old Bobcat w/b's that he has been using since I've known him. He just keeps rebuilding them. It's a lot cheaper than buying new ones and he likes them. :)
  8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Don't take it the wrong way. Almost anything can last as long as you want it to with enough maintenance and dollars put into it. A new Chevrolet might well last 1 million miles, but in that time a great deal of maintenace and replacement parts will be put into it. It's cost effective life is shorter.

Hey I have a Grasshopper with the 21 Kubota gas engine, and it purrs right along. The minor problems with the tractor itself add up and have cost a fortune and it still needs more. I could replace everything on it, but it would be cheaper (easier) to buy a new one.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

At 1700 hrs on my JD F935, the deck and rear axle got real loosey goosey. Sure for $500-1000 I could have replaced all worn items on it, but it was cost effective to sell it for $5800 and wash my hands. Now my most recent mower, my Dixie, it only had 1150 hrs and was real loosey goosey in the deck lift area. There is no replaceable or greasable items on the deck lift area of a Dixie. I would have to grind off and re-weld new D-rings and drill out all pin holes to the next bigger size and install bigger pins. Not to mention new chains and that still doesn't do anything for the warped from new deck. Also I had the Flatlander which was on its 3 rd hydro pump because I mow hills, and Dixie says a Flatlander shouldn't be used on hills! Why wasn't this declared in the manual or before I bought it? It has been cheaper for me to trade in every 3-4 years. They aren't beat, but just starting to show irreplaceable wear. Mine are all sold to local homeowners who are happy as heck to have a commercial mower for half price. They will all last these homeowners for the rest of their lives. But for me I can keep up with the latest equipment and keep them from nickle and diming me.

10. Hardy Enterprises

Hardy Enterprises LawnSite Member

I feel like the diesel will last longer in general. However, it is not the useful life that I am really worried about since I try keep my equipment up to date. The primary reason I am wanting to switch to a diesel is operating cost. I have a 80hp tractor with a 15ft batwing for mowing right of ways and large fields. Because of this I have a 100 gallon diesel tank with an electric pump mounted on my truck. If I had diesel mowers this would save me in several ways. The transfer tank contains tax exempt diesel which is about $0.50 a gallon cheaper than regular diesel. The electric pump has a 15gpm flow rate so fill up time would decreased and I would spend a lot less time wanting in line at the gas station. Plus as you have already mention diesel usually have better fuel efficiency.