1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Will Antifreeze kill Turf?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HenryB, Nov 6, 2009.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Wondering if diluted antifreeze 50/50 kill turf?
  2. a plus bob

a plus bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Yes it will. Ever see a car parked in a yd. and leak anti freeze and kill spots.
  3. rwsawal04

rwsawal04 LawnSite Member

It most certainly will, also you if used careless!!!!
  4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

5. birdturd9726

birdturd9726 LawnSite Member

hahahaha i dont know if u can do that. Their worried about glacial runoff and all this crap. i dont no about using antifreeze. Probably a nice hefty fine. lol:hammerhead:
  6. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I was telling a friend what a pain in the a$$ it is cleaning out sprayers in the spring to avoid turf burn from antifreeze residue. He was sure diluted antifreeze would not kill turf. I think it will but I'm not about to try.
  7. rwsawal04

rwsawal04 LawnSite Member

Anybody ever tried windshield wiper fluid in the winter?
  8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Look into RV antifreeze. I won't claim to have done any homework on it, but I know it's touted as being environmentally friendly.
  9. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I used wiper fluid last year in my pg's then just pumped it back into the empty jugs in the spring and used it in my truck!! ohhh and yes 50/50 anti freeze will kill turf!!
  10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Right on, Indy. Also used wiper fluid in my PG. Not sure about its effect on turf--plan to reuse it. And yes regular anti-freeze will kill turf.