Will be firing some good workers today.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Garth, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Had a very unfortunate thing happen at an account that pays 38K/month. An electrician installing a light smelled marijuana smoke coming from a building that one of my crews uses on a military base. He reported it to the Major who pulled in my field manager and he in turn called me. I had everyone drug-tested an hour later including the manager. I don't care what people do on their own time. They can smoke pot, snort crack or even dress up in leather boyscout uniforms and blow the cat, but when I pay to have someone work for 8 hours/day and they can't go 8 hours without a toke, we have a problem. One of the guys said he does it only on the weekends and begged for his job and the one that did it, we think, is our irrigation tech. If both come up positive I have to fire them both. A federal contract of this size is rarer than a virgin in Brooklyn over the age of six and I am NOT going to lose it. Any feedback?

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You're FIRED!!!

3. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

wonder how that ole electrican knew the smell of residue....hehe, looks to me the ole electrician been around the block a few times

4. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I would do the same. Sometimes you have to put your foot down.

5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Sometimes there may be no choice. Does the customer have a drug policy for contractors? Still, smoking weed on the job is very careless. If they're salvageable workers maybe consider asking them to go through some sort of treatment to save their jobs. It may get you off the hook with the customer if they have such a policy. Then again you may wish to be done with them altogether if they're not worth the hassle. All I know is, I've been given a second chance before and I did appreciate it. Good luck.

6. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

First off I'm not condoning the use of weed especially on the job, but you must understand the that pot will show in your blood system even if your not the one smoking it.If the guy next to you is smoking then it can work it's way into your system.Now firing may be a problem unless they are honest and tell you they are...

7. JOEWOOD

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

Shame Shame Shame on that Stooley Electrician :realmad:

8. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

wait (i'm no weed expert) but if he smokes on the weekends, wouldn't it still be in his blood during the week when hes tested? So maybe the positive test would be from the reefer he smoked on the weekend.

9. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

It stays in your system 30 days.

10. mommacutz

mommacutz LawnSite Member

Yes it stay in your system for some time