Will belt driven mowers become a thing of the past?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mo Green, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been following a thread here about belt driven versus hydro drive. Do you guys think belt driven mowers will ever become a thing of the past?

If so..... why do you think so? Also, how soon do you forsee this coming?

2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Belt is ok on flatlands and also there is a strong entry level market.

Since belt is so much cheaper it is here to stay.

3. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

I haven't been in the business that long, but the belt drives are an economical way to get started. That is what I started with. It may be possible if they could drop the prices of the hydro's. It seems like if they would streamline the number of products they would save money one would think. Maybe they will eliminate the number of engine choices. It should be interesting to see what happens.

Chris

4. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just thinking that if something emerged that was better than hydro drive, would belt drive mowers be phased out. Kid of like 8 tracks, albums, and cassetes. As a new technology emerged, the weakest of the existing fell.

5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

If people keep buying them then they will be around and on the market but I do think that more and more people are getting away from them and investing in Hydro's.Let me add that I think belt drives are good for a homeowner that doesn't mind walking and maybe for part timers in this business.

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I can see as hydros gain in popularity the various mower companies would see the wisdom in pricing them more in line with the belt-drives. Don't you think if the prices of the 2 were similar, you would go with the hydro? As long as there is a $1,500 difference or so in the prices the belt-drives will be around.

I remember when CD player first came out, they cost about $1,000 for a single CD machine. Once the price came down near the tape decks they took over the market.

7. thegrassmastersinc

thegrassmastersinc LawnSite Member

I dont think that belt drives will be replaced for a long time. As long as there are people getting started in the lawn care business, there will always be a need for an inexpensive commercial mower. I definitly think that hydros are far superior, but I dont see belt drives disappearing any time soon

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

SURE--just like so will you and I.

but for the rest of our lives as we can appreciate them, the belt drives are here to stay.

GEO

9. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Don't take me wrong way, I started out with 36" belt Metro too but I can answer you like this:
    Belt = Dinosaur
    Realistically you can not continue to use it as primary and earn big bucks, make a living out of it. no way. I think in 5 years all commercial guys will stop making them, Hustler already did.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

As long as we continue to use gas engines the belt drive will be around. Sales of belt drives continue to be very strong. I see a lot of them in the field and I know of several larger companies locally that use them. They're inexpensive, very easy to work on, reliable and easy on gas. Just like this website is biased towards Exmark it is also biased towards hydro walks. I personally think the hydro walk will disappear long before the gear drive due to ZTRs. The pricing of hydro walks and ZTRs is getting too close for the hydro walk to survive unless the manufacturers do something about the pricing.