Will Bermuda grow from the clippings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by absolutelawnman, Nov 26, 2004.

1. absolutelawnman

absolutelawnman LawnSite Member

I know that bermuda spreads from stolons etc, but will the little cut every week that may end up in beds actually spread. If not is there any documentation or studies.

Customer thinks that it does and I thought it only grew if you actually got a part of the stolon in the beds, not the clippings

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Absole

Sprigs from Bermuda or any other stolmatic plant should have at least two nodes to propagate. Depending on how high the grass is and how fine it mulches the grass is the answer to your question. However Common Varieties of Bermuda will propagate from their seeds. Cultivars of Bermuda will not propagate from seeds.

3. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Bermuda clippings will not start new growth.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That's like saying water ain't wet.

southerntide likes this.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

The customer is right and you are wrong. So quit discharging into their bed areas for one, and two educate them on how they may as well get used to a long term war to keep it out.

IF any part of the bermuda plant, aside from the soft tissue of the blade lands there, it will dig in, take root and spread. It is one of the most hearty plants on the planet. I could tell stories all day....

6. Gene $immons

Clippings will not give rise to new growth. If any part of the stolons or rhizomes are included it will.

But clippings alone will not

I have a degree in horticulture.

Show me some documentation on this.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Gene

So do I.

Clipping are made up of Stolons and Seeds and although we like to have a minim of two nodes to propagate from, in a nice shaded wet mulch bed and one node will propagate. Sorry I am not going to make my point by doing a bunch of research to find a university study. How ever I will add just one more word. "Sprigs"

8. Envy Lawn Service

Again, no the leaf of the plant won't root. But when you cut it, some of the stemy growth gets pulled up and cut off. Likewise it runs and grows over the edges as well. Any of that part of the plant will root and spread if given half a chance. It's a constant war to keep it out of beds because it has so many ways of getting in and it's very hard to irradicate.

IF you want documentation, pull your degree off the wall and inscribe the following on the back.....

"For proof Bermuda clippings will give rise to new growth, gather a hand full of said clippings, then return home and deposit in personal beds."

If you decide to try it, let me know how that goes. :waving:

9. Gene $immons

I agree that you need stolons

My point is that top of blade clippings will not generate new growth

I occasionally will dump bagged grass in my flower beds - no new growth

thanks

10. Gene $immons

Ric

sprigs include a large part of root material