Will core aeration destroy an Invisible Fence?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by elshauno, Aug 17, 2007.

1. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

I have a few yards I will be aerating this year and I am concerned about damaging the invisible fence line. Should I have the customer have the fence marked or should I go ahead and aerate?

2. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes without question - you will destroy a fence

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Many invisible fences are only about two inches deep. Mark them or go around.

4. ccondie

ccondie LawnSite Member

Have the customer flag the fence line and the sprinklers if need be. I was doing my own yard 2 years ago and nicked the fence just enought so that it would not work any more. Long story short by the time the invisible fence people came out to fix it it was $75.

5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Like they said, yes. Not only will you cut it in one place but possibly many. Have the customer locate the line and stay a good 4' back to be safe. Explain & sign that you are not responsible......thats the kicker.

6. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

Thanks for replies I will make sure I have the fence area marked

7. Why not just aerate the areas the need it and not risk destroying multiple heads, phone lines, invisible fencing, etc. Dallas went through an aerating phase that seems to have died very quickly due in my opinion to all the stuff destroyed. Unless an area is heavily compacted I advise my customers to stay away from aeration and even then I advise using a good pitchfork. This is one golf course application that needs to stay on the golf course.