Will cutting grass in 100+ degree temps hurt the turf?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HenryB, Aug 1, 2006.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

The next few days are going to be 100 degrees getting toasted fast. Do you think this will damage the turf going over it with ZTR's? I'd like to skip the week but these people pay monthly and want their moneys worth((greedy aren't they). Tough call.

2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

I would say no.

I havent cut in NJ but I have in Nevada when it has been 118 and never had a problem. Little different grass but temp. shouldnt matter.

Just drink lots of water.

3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

No it wont hurt a thing. Just cut high and you will be fine.

4. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with ProStreet....you'll be fine if it's high.

5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Gotta disagree. Cutting a lawn puts it under stress, as does the heat. Together they will damage the grass. When in doubt, don't. A wise grass guru once told me that the only equipment you should put on turf in high heat is a sprinkler, and the only chemical should be water.
    Take the day off and go to the beach.

6. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

but just remember, anytime you cut sends a little stress to the plant. The more shaded the root system in this heat, the better off the plant. We cut 15 residentials today and quit at 2. Same goes for tomorrow. I'm in no hurry to try to get everyone cut on schedule, my customers know I'll hold off and try to do whats right for the lawn, so the phone ain't ringing with people wondering where we are!

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, mowing in hot weather will leave wheel marks.

8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

The lawns we cut today in 100 degree heat with an index of 115 will be just as green and lush next week as they were this week.

9. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, pro street, then those lawns are being supplied with some heavy duty irrigation, but even then, with sustained heat and humidity, they will decline with stress. Its august, not april.

10. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes. you can damage the lawn... We are in the same heat wave, its been 90s the past couple days and supposed to be over 100 tomorrow. You can clearly see the grass is stressed where the ztr tires have been.. Be very careful when turning and try to avoid driving over the same area more than once. Unless the lawn is irrigated it try to avoid mowing when it gets near 100.(which doesn't happen all that much here)