will dealer/red max back thier product?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 14, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

in april of 2004 i purchased a red max wacker, split boom, with all the attachments. i think the total cost was perhaps $1350. it was the worst purchase i ever made, i'll tell you why.....if the motor don't run, i lose use of my wacker, chainsaw, trimmers, and stick edger. not a smart purchase. the machine has been in the shop 7 times since it was bought, all for the same problem: it won't start. the dealer makes repair, cheap, say $35 each time. i take it, it starts right up. as the days go on, it's harder and harder to start. within a few weeks, it won't start. bring it in for repair, repeat cycle. now, the dealer is busy, so when i drop it off, i'm without it for 2 weeks at a time. this time i told him that i want him, or red max, to fix it so it don't breakdown, replace the item with a new one, or give me a refund. what will happen? am i entitled to a new machine? i purchased something from another manufacturer, and they did not back thier product. will red max back thier product?

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

What is the recuring problem?
    Are they considering your problem a defective/malfuntioning part or a service issue such as de-coking or cleaning out the carb.

I just bought a Redmax blower so I would be interested to know their stance on warranty work, although I do all my own repairs that are non warranty work or when the warranty expires I am curious how they resolve issues.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yea, go ahead, call me stupid but....i don't know what the problem is. i drop it off, he fixes it, i pick it up. it wasn't till this time that i told him i want a detailed analysis of why it keeps happening. the first time he said i used the wrong oil. i bought echo brand, but mixed it 50-1 like i was supposed to, he said u can't use anything but redmax oil. i've since used redmax oil, mixed at a perfect 50-1. it keeps happening. i have a redmax blower, great blower, never a problem. i think it's the 7001

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You should not be paying anything for repairs, as Redmax has a 2 year warranty on it's equipment. Also, you can use any good quality mix oil, not just Redmax oil. I think you need to find a new dealer.

5. CottonPatch

CottonPatch LawnSite Member

Contact Malcolm at Redmax. He is in charge of all warranty claims and should be able to help you. Just call the number or e-mail from the Redmax website. Hope this helps.

6. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

It sounds like a defective motor Bobby. Somehow you got a lemon. It is very rare to hear anybody on this site have recurring problems with Redmax equipment.

I've used Redmax stuff for years and never had the problem that you mention.

I can't see the oil being the issue. I've been use Echo oil for years and never had a problem.

Redmax should be able to work something out with you.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Get redmax or dealer to stand behind it. They have a 2yr warrently. Were running with about 8 trimmers and a 4 blowers - no problem!!

8. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Uummm, why have 'you' been paying for "repairs" for over a year on a unit warrantied for 2 years ???

9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

The only oil related recurring problem other than cylinder-piston damage (not a $35 fix) that I can think of by the description of your problem would be exhaust port & muffler coking. This would be a service issue and not a warranty item. I eliminated that problem on my trimmers by using a sythetic oil. Amsoil works, redline snowmobile and aircooled sythetic is probabley a better oil protection wise, but since I just switched do not know if coking will be a issue.

If that is in fact your problem P.M. me and I will tell you how to clean the port . It is about a fifteen minute job.