1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Will diesel engines be placed on WBs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Sep 3, 2005.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

With the surge in gas prices, I was wondering if the future trend will be towards offering more fuel efficient alternatives like diesel engines on walk behind ranging from commercial 21s all the way up to 60" walk behinds and above. What does everyone think?
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

A diesal engine usually ways 4-5 times more than a gasoline engine. So I don't see them going on WB's anytime soon.

I do see commercial electric or hybrid setups becoming available.
  3. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

That's a good question and actually I was wondering the same thing, I did some research just yesterday on it. Kubota is the only company who manufactures diesel engines used on mowers, and then only on riders. Like JonHolland said, I think they are a little too heavy to be used on smaller mowers. I could see it on a large WB, but I doubt it will happen. It WOULD be nice, though.....save a lot of money on fuel!
    I do agree with Jon about the commercial electric or hybrid units becoming available eventually, but who knows when? I know that Jacobsen makes an electric commercial reel mower, but I have not heard anything going on with electric rotary mowers. I believe that a rotary mower would use a tremendous amount of electricity, so battery powered rotary units do not seem likely IMO, but maybe a hybrid is feasable. Does anyone have any info on what companies are working on electric/hybrid mowers?
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Due to the high pressure injection systems, it is difficult to make a diesel compact enough to fit on a small walk-behind. Also, I would not want to lift one of those units lol.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The clean air act is driving our industry to wards engines that will have less pollution. In our area we see the propane attachments being put on engines. The school distrist have converted all their units.
  6. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Daihatsu also makes a deisel engine. Its used on the Toro ZTRs. "Only" is a risky word, but I respect you for your bravery.

7. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

caterpiller, briggs and straton, hatz, yanmar all do too. i think theres one or two more but cant think of names. hatz has some small 5 & 7 hps you can probably but on a 21" if they have a verticle shaft model. :cool:
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That's pure bullcrap....
    And the same sort of mis-information that is preventing higher sales numbers of diesel powered commercial mowers, even though very few besides us could reap some of the greatest benefits.

Fact is, most of us don't buy diesels because we either believe this bull that they are TOO HEAVY... or we are just not all that wise as consumers and buy the cheaper gas versions just because they cost us less up front.

So no, I agree, we are not going to see them on WB's probably ever...
    Although Yanmar makes a vertical shaft V-Twin diesel that would be perfect for the application.
  9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I think it is the other way around. The price of a diesel engine on commercial mower cannot be justified. I think it is more of a luxury factor.
  10. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

yesssss propane