Will glyphosate hurt dormant Bermuda?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by FIRESCOOBY, Mar 10, 2008.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I've wondered about this for years and never got a straight answer.

Can you spray glyphosate on dormant Bermuda without harm to the Bermuda?
  2. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Yes. But are you absolutely, positively, sure it's totally dormant?

I did it one year in Mid-Jan and caused damage.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

It's probably on the line. It's at our fire station and we've got several spots where some fescue and crap is growing up through the Bermuda Sod. I know we should have done it before now, but you know how that goes.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I know you can up here and it works wonderful. I worked at a golfcourse with all bermuda fairways and every year, usually the first of march we would spray them at a 2 qts. per acre rate ( I believe that's right).

Being that you are much further south I'd want 100% confirmation that your bermuda goes totally dormant in the winter. If it's not, well you will knock it back pretty good.
  5. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

It can look TOTALLY dormant, and actually not be.. my competition sprayed some bermuda lawns in january last year, and they didn't come back..
  6. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Today, I sprayed glyphosate in fairly dormant bemuda. A lot of people get in trouble by thinking that they need a full strengthmix applied xtra good. A pint to an acre will work wonders on cool season grasses this time of year. Check out the linked study concerning glyphosate applications to 25% green bermuda. At the 12 and 16 oz rates, greeup was affected very little.

7. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I have been told by NC State University turf professors that it won't hurt the bermuda. The catch is that you really need some warm nights for glyphosphate to work fast. The worst it will do is delay green up a couple of weeks. Check your temps though if you are having warm days and night in GA it may be starting green up.....if so I may wait and hit is with some post emergent.