Will Grass Build Up On Blades Balance Them?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Canadian GreenScape, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

Ok.. I have way too much time to think sitting on a mower all day, but I was wondering... You know that caked on grass that builds up around the center hole on the mower blade? Will the centrifugal force of the blade rotating cause the grass to build up in a way that will balance the blade?.. say if it takes a hit in the morning.. or am I right out to lunch here?... ;) I dont rely on this method to keep my blades balanced.. dont feel like replacing a bunch of spindles anytime soon, all blades are balanced while sharpening them :D :confused:

2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I balanced my blades once about 3 years ago, never have since, and probably never again. I've never had to replace a spindel, one of the mowers is in its forth year. So you may be correct.

3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Interesting idea. I guess one way to test the hypothesis is to check the balance on all blades before sharpening rather than waiting until you've sharpened them. If the blades are always balanced before you sharpen them, your hypothesis may have merit.

Still, I have to admit I doubt it, mainly because the accumulation, as you note, is toward the middle of the blade, which means it exerts less influence on the balance.

On the other hand, Wriken said something that reminds me of my doubts about some of these high-falutin blade balancing widgets that cost hundreds of dollars. Do they really extend the life of blade spindles or are they just another toy for us to blow money on?

4. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

are you sure you wernt "taking a HIT" the morning you thought of that?:)

5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

3 years ago, I used one of those plastic cone things you can buy for like 99 cents, when I did'nt balance a set, and did'nt fell a difference, decided not to balance. I could never understand why people will spend big bucks for a thing like that. One thing I try to keep consistance is to do the same amount of sharpenings (strokes) on each end of the blades. I grease my spindels about every 2-3 days. I own mtd/cub/lesco mowers maybe thats it.:)