will honda hurt kaw and kohler?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by costcutter, Oct 16, 2003.

1. costcutter

costcutter LawnSite Member
    from georgia

WILL HONDA HURT KAW AND KOHLER BUIS. I THINK THEY WILL BECAUSE ALL THE PEOPLE I'VE HEARD COMMENT ON THIS SUBJECT SAY THEY HAVE 0 PROBLEMS. I HAD EARLY IN MY BUIS A HONDA LAWN TRACTOR WITH 18HP V TWIN ENGINE AND AFTER 3 HARD YEARS OF USE IT STILL FIRES AT THE TOUCH OF A KEY .IT IS NOW 5 YEARS OLD AND STILL RUNNING. WHAT DO YOU GUYS AND GALS THINK?

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on how big of a stick they use!

I think that there's room for all of them.

In order to do anything, HONDA needs to address its lack of anything above 24 hp. That is were the market is getting competitive.

I don't know why Honda doesn't push more on the smaller twins 15-20hp for the intermediate walks. You never see them.

Only place I see Honda's regularly is on pressure washers, wacker plates, jumping jacks, and a few air compressors.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Honda engines are huge on generators too. Honda engines are smooth that's for sure. And they last a long time too. But I think part of the problem is that they seem to lack the raw power that Kohler and Kawasaki make. When I get on my Kohler 25 in thick grass it sounds like it's making power. Kinda like an old John Deere farm tractor. Part of that is the HP+1 muffler I have on it.

Kinda like the difference between a 225 horse V-8 and a 225 horse V-6. Which would you rather have given everything else is equal?

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Haha, I seriously doubt it. Honda has higher prices, problems with distribution for larger motor parts and the power isn't there. I love honda small engines, but their bigger one I will stay away from.

5. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Honda makes a GREAT small engine line (the ones less than 11 HP). Pretty much anything bigger tends to be difficult to get parts for. You will see them on Air Compressors, Trash Water Pumps, Concrete mixers, Power Washers, 21" mowers, Compactors, etc.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If HONDA would put out a compact, lightweight aircooled 30hp 50ft/lb V-Twin engine in Vertical and Horizontal shafts, and make them somewhat competitive in price < $2K

They would sell a TON of these.

7. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

I wish Honda would get serious about big mower engines. Kawasaki and Kohler seem to need a kick in the teeth to get them to do a better job with engineering and quality control and Honda being a big player in that market space would be just the ticket. More competition would be a good thing. I have trouble imagining Honda designing an air filter like the one on my 17 HP Kawasaki. Hondas make less perceived power? Maybe so - just super size mine. I'll take a 30 HP Honda on a 52" Lazer - no problem.

8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Don't count out Honda just yet. They took a long time when they developed their outboard motors and today they are one of the biggest sellers of outboards. As the green industry grows..and it will grow rapidly over the next 10-15 years, Honda will probably be a major supplier of engines to mower manufacturers. I think over the next 5 years or so you'll be seeing a lot of new engines with plenty of HP coming from Honda. If they develope engines in the 30+ HP range that run as quiet and smooth as their small engines, they'll be a problem for Kohler and Kawasaki.

9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I have owned about 6 different Honda products...everything from the little 4 cycle on the Mantis, to the 2 stage snow blower.

We know what a great engine they make....but Godd help you if you need a part in a hurry. And if they have it, get your American Express out....it will cost you. Until they convince me they have solved these 2 historic problems, they'll be no big Honda stuff in my trailer

10. costcutter

costcutter LawnSite Member
    from georgia

JUST REMEMBER I SAID I HAD A 18HP V TWIN AND IT HAD A LOT OF JUICE, AND THE GUYS I HEAR RUNNING A 24 HP ARE NOT HAVING PROBLEMS. I DON'T KNOW WHY EVERYONE KEEPS SAYIN THEY WANT 30HP MOST OF YOU GUYS ARE RUNNING LESS THEN 30 NOW.