Will I have time to start?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mmetcalfe, Nov 7, 2007.

1. mmetcalfe

mmetcalfe LawnSite Member

I would like to get advice from you guys who have started this as a part time job and were successful.

I have crunched the numbers and I figure I will need at least 6 clients to break even my first year. That is having all of my equipment paid off 100% in my first year of business. At approximately 10 clients I will be right where I want to be as far as income I earn from this on a part time basis. I did account for insurance so I have every intention of doing this the legit way.

The thing I'm concerned about is my available time for this business. I will have basically 7 days a week open from 7am-9:30am, and 7 nights a week from 6:30-Dark.

Given the amount of clients I would like to have ideally, would this schedule allow for me to realistically handle it? I will be using a used commercial mower.

Thanks for your input,
    Mike

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

to add replacement cost to your overhead.... a paid off piece of equipment still has overhead.....

thats not much time, and for residentials, they dont want you there too early or too late..... honestly, the hours you are available to work make me think this really isnt going to work for you.....

3. mmetcalfe

mmetcalfe LawnSite Member

Thank you for the response.

What would be the earliest you would go to a residential job?

If I could devote an entire day to this in addition to those mornings and evenings would that make it possible?

Thanks
    Mike

4. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

Personally I wouldn't start residential no earlier than 8 and try to be off one no later that 6pm, but by dark would work too.

5. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

You could do one in the AM, and one in the PM, allowing for 10 in 5 days. But remember, it rains from time to time. I usually plan on one lawn per hour working solo, but that will vary (a lot) depending on the lawns.

6. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I think if you can have a FULL day available per week in addition to the other times, you can easily do 15 clients.

7. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

You can look for some small commercial jobs. Like at a maufacturing plant, or similar. You should be able to do them on weekends or at night. They should pay better also, and not be a hassel to get your check too.

I am looking at starting next yr to, and I am trying to target half of my clients as small commercial, from 1-3 acres each, for the reasons mentioned.

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

maybe after he becomes legal and insured, and no commercial is going to hire a new start up with no reputation

you dont just get commercials, you have to be established a while, some times for years depending on your area....

one day a week, what about when it rains for 3 days in a row.....many communities have ordinances prohibiting a business from making noise until 9, and must stop by 8......

9. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Getting some commercial the first yr is not impossible. I am just starting, and I will have at least 1 small commercial property, probably 2. Then again, I live in a rural town (not actually in Fargo like my profile says, just near), and know alot of people. Maybe its my personality, but I can swing some sales, and will have a couple nice smaller commericial jobs. Then again I allready had history with those companies also, so that may help.:weightlifter:

10. nautica1580

nautica1580 LawnSite Member

Mike,
    I'm not sure how much you have set aside for start up, but how would 6 clients make you break even? I just bought a business:trailer, mower, all the fixings and got a great deal on it along with 8 accounts and it will take me 12 months to break even and that was stealing it. I'm not sure what you have budgeted and how much you expect to get a month for those 6 accounts. As far as hours, my dad owned a company with 200+ accounts, it would be very diffucult to operate a side business in the hours you have free, then you add weather, city restrictions, and other personal issues and it makes your task even harder. You almost need a full day to do your lawns with the other times free in case something comes up the other times. Best of Luck Mike, I am curious with your budget and estimates.