Will it ever rain again?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KirbysLawn, Aug 28, 2001.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Here in the Charlotte area we are in a severe drought. This month is on pace to set a all time low for rain in August, to date .5" for the entire month. Today the high was 98 degrees with no rain in sight except for a scattered shower over the weekend.

Funny, just 2 hours north of here they have had more than enough rain. Next month should be great for aerating and aeravating with the condition of the lawns around here. The only grass that is still green and non-irrigated is Bermuda.

Maybe I can get some good photos of the brown lawns around here if any need mowing this week. :(

Any other areas still with drought?
  2. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in Nashville (at least my area) we are down too. But we keep getting just a little now and then to keep us alive. I have a idea for you. Call Chemlawn, they can green up your lawns for ya!......LOL just kidding.
    Now go do your rain dance.
  3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Things in my county are getting better. We have had a couple of good rains in the past 3 weeks. I do work in a county to the north and things are still toasted there, it seems all the rain we got missed them. It's a bummer as half of my accounts are in that county to the north.:( ED
  4. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Its bone dry here. It trys to rain, clouds up, gets all dark, but then nothing. "It went just north", they always say. I wish the people just south of me would say that!
  5. dhicks

dhicks Member

Kirby and the rest of you drought stricken folks: all we can do is pray. We need rain where I live. The rains come almost every day but will move to the north or to the south of us. Sometimes I want to wring the weather persons neck because they keep telling me what a dry and pleasant week we are having. That burns me up. The city slickers never think of the farmers and those that depend on rain for a living. :angry:
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I'm praying for you guys.
    I did it for me and we have spring growth after almost 4 inches.

I thought my season was lost when it was in the high 90's earlier in July and August. Most lawns that weren't irrigated just cooked and browned up. The funny thing is that most all of them recovered and they are growing like mad.

I will pray that you get rain, I don't have a direct line so it might take a while.:angel: Keep the faith.
  7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We had the same problem down here in the Chicago area as you did Ed. I can not believe how fast it is growing here now. I can see a lot of double cutting going on this week and the gas prices have gone sky high again. Average price for regular here is around $1.80 a gallon and it could get higher still. A refinery fire in our area is supposed to be the cause of this last increase. :mad:
  8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

No need to be sad Ray cause you might not be mowing this week. ;)
    Isn't that the greatest thing about monthly contracts? Whether it rains 10 inches a month or .10 inches, it really doesn't really matter cause the checks are rolling in and you're smiling all the way to the bank. :D

The beginning of August for us looked pretty bleak, but now the Commonwealth is getting the rain. We just had an afternoon soaker here. The grass is green everywhere you look. Even people that don't even care about their lawns, now have green grass too.
  9. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

ray. i know were you are cominf from hope you get some to keep things going.
    here in south n.j. for the month of july and aug. we got
    some lawns are still some what dry. thank god we got what we got.
  10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

We are getting a shower about every 2 weeks which is not helping too much. It is really dry around here. I havent missed any yards because of lack of rain but it is close to effecting me. I dont think praying about weather does much good. because someone is always praying it doesnt rain LOL