Will it flip over backwards?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by browng, Jul 1, 2008.

1. browng

browng LawnSite Member

I recently purchased a Fastrak SD 23/48 and am still getting the feel for how it responds to different terrain. I have a hill in my back yard that I need to get up and down so I can mow the flat area at the bottom of the hill. The grade on the hill is approximately 23 degrees with weeds and small rocky soil. Would I be foolish to try and drive my mower up and down this type of slope? Will the mower flip over backwards even with the wheels on the back of the bumper or will it just rare up and lose traction? My gut tells me it will go up and down the slope but my mind says don't try it. If anyone has experience or insight it would be greatly appreciated.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

23 degrees?
    I cant recommend anything mowed over 15 degrees, it just isnt safe.
    From what your describing the conditions to be and the slope, it is a bad combo for traction.
    Your safety has to come first.

3. browng

browng LawnSite Member

I understand you cannot say anything contrary to what the manual states. Is there anyone not associated with Hustler that can provide input? I'm sure there are some of you "rebels" out there that have exceeded a 15 degree slope, I would love to hear your experience.

4. cmurf70

cmurf70 LawnSite Member

I've done it with my FT 48. If you're skeered, go up backwards.

5. browng

browng LawnSite Member

I was "skeered" so I tried it backwards and couldn't get traction, given I had already gone down the hill I had to get back up so.....I went for it! I made it up without any problem other than my nerves, I would feel more at ease with extra weight on the front. Can I buy the weight kit for the FT SD 48" that is used in conjunction with the bagger? If so, how much is it?

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The weight kit for the catcher comes with the catcher in this case.
    You would have to buy it piece by piece, there are 5 weight plates (part # 104489) that bolt on the unit in a single stack.
    Then you need the hardware to bolt it on they are 1/2-13 by 3 inch long bolts, you will need 4 of them and washers and nuts to go with them.
    All that being said, bolting weight onto the front of a zero turn is not good (unless being used for counter weight with a catcher).
    Please think about it before you do it, your safety has to come first.

Pj

7. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

Both the FasTraks and Super Fastraks, and all midmounts for that matter, are rated at 15 degrees.

This past weekend, I mowed with both a 48 and a 54 on a slope which exceded this.

The FasTraks and Super Duty models will go straight up without flipping over with no problem. When going horizontal, both worked very well, even with Flex Forks. Traction and power were no problem.

The Hustler Mowers will likely slide before they will tip over. This is probably one reason why they come with Turf Tires rather than a bar style or any other agressive style tire.

If you feel uncomfortable on a hill, don't mow it again until you have taken the particular precautions. PJ is right, safety must come first.

8. Kenkirk

Kenkirk LawnSite Member

One thing to be very careful about is that if and when it starts to pop a wheelie, your first natural reaction is to throw your weight to the front. But it is VERY EASY to also throw the handles forward which of course accelerates the beast and causes it to rise up faster! So be very careful when leaning forward not to push on the sticks! It has happened to me a couple of times, and I just about crapped my pants. I regraded my lawn and no longer have the incline. Not worth dying...

Ken

9. Spikie

Spikie LawnSite Member

Any ZTR gets spooky going uphill imho. However, if you either simply let go of the sticks OR pull back, the front should go back to solid ground.

If you ever have to stop on a slope, I wouldn't start back UP the slope from a stop on the slope. That gets very hairy, very quickly. Back down and reestablish.