1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Will it pay for itself?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, May 11, 2002.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I have 2 Exmark 48" metros belt driven...am thinking of selling one and buying a hydro tracer 17 or 19 hp, 48" or 52" with a sulkey. Will I really produce enough to warrant the purchase?
  2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am guessing you do not use a sulkey now. The addition of hydro and a sulkey will make a big difference.
    You can walk at about 3mph, but with the sulkey you will be able to mow at 6+
    You will really appreciate the sulkey when it heats up this summer. I replaced a wheeled sulkey with a proslide.... it's great!
    The 52 would be a little more productive, but by having two units with the same deck size your strips would stay the same useing either mower. With two like units your parts inventory would be less...belts,blades etc.
    If you can about one lawn per day the mower will pay for itself by years end.
  3. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

6mph mowing?
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have 1st hand knowledge of going to a hydro and a sulky. It will make a HUGE difference. Pay for itself easily.
  5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Ditti what Hoss said. I started with a gear Bobcat and walked, then I got the Dane Scamper with velkie and could not imaging doing business walking.
  6. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

IS 6 mph unheard of with a walk behind?
    My Great Dane is rated at 7+, so I'm sure the Exmark is around the same.
  7. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

the Tracer Hydro WILL pay for itself in the use of ZERO turn. A belt drive you have to get off the sulky or if your walking pull one side back and have to watch for divits that will be left from the wheel. A hydro you can run a line, at the end start your turn and then reverse the inside wheel and leave no divit and never have to get off the sulky. Having that reverse option there at your fingertips is very nice and less time consuming. also, Get the tracer in the 52" deck. large yards you will save one pass for every 12 rows you cut. My math may be off on that number but you can see the differance. I have a 48" metro and sold a 52" hydro bunton and man do I miss the hydro. Zero turns make a differance in time to me.

8. deason

deason LawnSite Member

Originally posted by scotlawncare
    Get off the sulky??? Have I been doing it wrong all this time? :confused:
  9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I think he means get off the sulky to make a 'zero turn', holding or pulling one side inward to acheive a 'zero turn', which leaves divots. I don't think he meant to do normal turns braking one side and letting the other go. But with a hydro, you CAN reverse one side alittle to keep it from 'skidding' the lawn and creating a divot or unwanted mark of any sort.
    I'd say go for it!
  10. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

I would also imagine a hydro is a little smoother in its control of the wheel speed. When I'm mowing in 5th with my toro 36, belt and a sulky, at the turn I slam one wheel on the brakes and it skips, turns again, skips, and then the wheel catches and the mower turns around it. with a hydro I would imagine the deceleration of the wheel would be much smoother