1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

will it pull me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookiemower, Jul 15, 2003.

1. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

i was thinking about purchasing a velky or sulkt i own a 13 hp 36" Gravely walk behind. it is belt drive now here is the question, i am a big boy at 280 lbs will 13 hp and a belt drive be able to do the job and if it can will it stress my engine and trans to much

thanks bill
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm over a hundred pounds lighter than you. On the flats the mower will be fine. Going up hill will be hard on the belts and engine. I used to have a 12.5 Kaw on my Exmark and it labored a little going up hill with the blades on. When I swapped the 12.5 for a 14 it made all the difference in the world. Get the 15 instead of the 13.
  3. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

The more hp the better. I've yet to hear someone wishing they had less. If you can afford it, go for it.
  4. 44toy

44toy LawnSite Member

I have a 36" bobcat 14hp kohler with velke. it does o.k. but the hydro with the 16hp twin does great.
  5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

It will be very tough and slow going for your machine. More HP would be best, at least 15HP I'd think, more would be even better.
    If your lawns are all hard texture and flat you'll probably be alright.
    The thicker the grass the more difficult.
    Forget any hills or slopes.
  6. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Hey 44Toy,

Your from 'Mayberry', huh? Not to get off topic, but I was told that Mt. Airy was the basis for the show. Drove through once, decent lookin' place!

Always glad to see a fellow Bob-Cat fan on this site!

7. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

No it won't pull you, and cut grass - to much weight. If your looking at hydro WB for one big enough to pull you, cut grass & turn the hydros - you might as well lokk into a small Z rider
  8. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

redbull is correct - you will have problems with the gear drive units pulling that weight
    you really need a hydro WB or go with the Z
    and the trans. for the wb are not cheap
  9. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

My 52" Surfer w/ 22hp Kohler and does quite well with my 250lbs. I would definitely go w/ more hp and hydro if you can.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The trannies for belt drives can be bought all day long for under 200 bucks.