will it scalp?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thelawnmans, Nov 12, 2003.

1. thelawnmans

thelawnmans LawnSite Member

I do mainly residential properties, for the most part they are open however there are those tight spaces and uneveness where my 36" snapper scalps in places. It is a fixed deck and right now I am cutting a little over 2inches. I am looking into buying a 52" toroZ. Would this bigger deck also scalp even though it has a floating deck.

2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

With a 52" deck (anything over 36" really) probably best to have floating deck. Yes, even these will scalp in some places, maybe/maybe not in the current scalp prone areas, just have to try.

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Yes, it should...

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I would say demo it and see. If your 36 is scalping then I would raise the deck and cut all my lawns a little higher, say try 2-1/2 or maybe raise to 3. I guess it depends on what the turf grass is.

5. First if your cutting at 2 inches most all mowers will scalp at that height.Floating decks will help scalping.But scalping can be prevented by mowing the terrain right.Improper mowing practices can relate to almost 90% of scalping.Study the slope of the terrain and I bet you can find a method to stop the scalping with your mower.Check the pitch of the deck and raise your deck this will help.Sometimes in tight area's you can only mow one way or scalping will oocur.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think I have only had 1 lawn in my entire life that I mowed that low.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

2 1/2" is as low as I can go without breaking out the wrenches. I just cut one this week at 2 1/2" and that was a final cut on a weedy glass smooth 6 acre estate. All others are 3 1/4" to 3 3/4".

Mow higher!

If your getting a 36"er to scalp, you have a problem. There IS NO trim side overhang on them.

8. Nichols Lawn Care

Nichols Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I have a 36" Bunton fixed deck and you are cutting to low. One thing I did was take out a spacer under the spindles; whiched raised the blade a little higher. That helped on a few spots in lawns that no matter how I went at it I was scalping. Also you will learn to slow down to stop the deck from flexing and taking a scalp now and then.