Will It Work?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DoetschOutdoor, Aug 26, 2005.

1. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Heres my dilema: I just bought my first big(ger) mower, a 36" Ferris Hydro. I would say that since its only a single drive, about half of my turning is done by my arms and not the machince(unlike a dual belt drive model) The dealer does not think that a sulky would be possible since I have no way to technically stop one wheel when turning, like on the belt drive. If i get a sulky and attach it, do you guys think it will be possible to use fairly easy on my big flat yards. Im only 19 but my knees are taking a beating cutting 20-25 yards a week. I can whip this mower around pretty easy and even without my feet planted on the ground, i still think a sulky would work. Got any suggestions, besides buying a bigger, sulky approved mower? Thanks in advance!

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm not familiar with that particular machine, How exactly Do you turn It? i've just used belt and dual hydros..

3. DoetschOutdoor

from S. IL

Its difficult to explain: 1. I usually do some sort of putting it in reverse(I have the easy operate thumb controls) and then when the mower is coming backwards, I turn it whichever way....The bottom line is it doesnt have a dual hydro or a belt drive to stop one of the wheels like belt drives do. Most of the turning is done by simply using my arms to turn it. Its really simple, i love the machine but i just think that this might save me time and energy, although the dealer dont think the same. Thanks Again

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well the old L-model and 5000 series Gravley walk behind tractors had no steering brakes and sulkys were a standard opition. Guess it would depend on the pulling power this unit has and the weight distribution on the tong of the sulky emitted to the rear of the unit. I have noticed over the years if too much weight is put on the sulky the front of these units would raise up.
    About the only option you have is try one and see how it goes, Maybe you can find sombody that will loan you one to check it out.

5. DoetschOutdoor

from S. IL

Thanks, anyone have any ideas for attachment of the sulky since it doesnt have one on it? This is my first year with the walk behind so im still a newbie mostly.

6. Restrorob

It depends upon what brand sulky you are looking at, Some come with a receiver to bolt on the back of your unit and some at extra cost. If you found a used one without the receiver you could take the unit and sulky to a welding shop and have them fab. one up.

7. Restrorob