1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Will John Deere bring out a new commercial 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HazellLawnCare, Jul 20, 2004.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have been fuming over John Deere dropping the JX85. Has anyone heard if they are going to replace it with a newer commercial 21" mower?
  2. HazellLawnCare

Wow! It's not often that no one of here has anything to say!
  3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

I doubt you would find much difference in performace between the JX85 & Toro Proline w/Kaw.

What we should lament is the demise of superior 2 stroke engines on 21"s thanks to the Enviro-Nuts.
  4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

You must have better luck with your JX85s than I did. We liked the engine, drive handle setup, and general operation of them. But ours was continually breaking. Everything from the BBC to the wheel adjusters,plastic knobs, cables, springs, etc..
  5. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

^ exactly what he said.
  6. liltex

liltex LawnSite Member

well i love mine. i've got one jx85 and one jx75. they both cost me 200 used from a neighbor in new condition. if you know how to work with tools their a breeze to fix. but the wheel adjusters do seem to be real stiff on mine maybe some wd40 will help. oh and got a 1440 for parts also what a deal since i was the one using them anyways.
  7. HazellLawnCare

Well I purchased a 21" Proline Toro about 3 weeks ago and I have been really impressed with it so far. If I don't hear by the first of December that Deere will release a new model I will be switching to all Toro's.
  8. QC Lawn Services

QC Lawn Services LawnSite Member

From what my dealer told me, the JX75 is almost the same as the JX85, but that it has the plastic wheels and no oil filter. We bought a JX75 earlier this year and love it. We bought the external oil filter kit for $39 to keep the oil as clean as possible. The mower gives a great cut and seems to pretty stingy with the gas.
  9. QC Lawn Services

QC Lawn Services LawnSite Member

I forgot to add in my last post, that JD put a 6.75 Kawasaki motor on top of the deck. The engine starts really easily with one pull (no priming) and the blade brake clutch is great when you have to pick something up or move something. The front wheels raise or lower with one lever, same with the back wheels. The mower is not light, but it does a really nice job in our hands.
  10. HazellLawnCare

After running the metal wheeled and rubber tired 85's the 75's feel like an old steel wheeled tractor rolling along. My other concern is the gears on the wheels of the 75's used to be made of plastic, are they still? If so I would forever be replacing wheels and gears. I like my new Toro and I will probably be running all Toro's next spring.