Will John Deere Hurt/Help Commericial Mowing Co.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ed2hess, Jun 25, 2005.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It was reported in our local paper this morning that John Deere Ltd. will be designing and installing landscape at certain subdivisions in the East. And I quote "Thousands of dollars worth of riding lawn mowers, leaf blowers and other equipment will fill one of the three garage bays". All of this will be included in the price of the house. This is marketed by St. Lawrence Homes in Durham, N.C. The initial response has been good. So what do you think guys do we want to be moving billboards for John Deere by using their equipment?

2. DownSouth

DownSouth LawnSite Member

yeah i live near there..heard about it on the news i think, or somewhere. i dont use there equipment anyways, i think u pay too much for the name.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Like everything else along those lines it will fade out. This is also just a "trial" deal with this one subdivison to see how it goes. Something like 50 homes is all that will be in it. Won't hurt any and plus these folks that will buy these 3 car garage homes won't cut their own grass anyway, no matter how many mowers you give them. I mean think about, how many current clients do you have that have JD Lawn Tractors sitting in their garage? I know I have several so it sure won't stop me from using and buying JD Commercial Z's! :)

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I guess you haven't actually priced their commercial ZTR's in a dealership then, cause I pay $2,000 less for the same size/type JD Z that I would for the similar model eXmark or Toro

5. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

That damn green paint - I don't get why every homeowner thinks its the best thing to happen since toilet paper. IMO all the JD stuff is overpriced junk.

6. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

No. It'll be, "Hey little Johnny, next door. How's about I give you a nice crisp $5.00 bill to mow and trim my lawn. You can use my equipment if you want."
    Of course after little Johnny has taken care of it for a season, the homeowner will then have to hire an experienced LCO to fix all the damage, mold, weeds and disease caused by improper care.
    No, I think a lot of that equipment will end up on EBAY.

7. heavenlydeere

heavenlydeere LawnSite Member

hey " all ferris" you are quick to say that my jds are junk and over priced, now just because you run ferris doesnt mean that deere is junk , i own four and monday i pick up a new one , i personally think that deere is one of the best zs you can own ,but i dont take anything away from ferris , it too is a great machine! please respond and tell me exactly what is junk about jd ,and over priced ????? try again ! my new 777 came in at 8400 with a jd stripe kit , i traded a year old 777 in on the new one(i trade every year to keep the trade value up and stay in a two year warranty) and got 7000 in trade talk about keeping its value ! would your ferris dealer give you a deal like that? jd is everything but junk, its not over priced , and i would gladly run one of my ztracs aginst your ferris any day !!!

8. heavenlydeere

heavenlydeere LawnSite Member

oh yeah "all ferris" what about that bobcat?

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Does John Deere use the same quality pumps and motors that the other big names do? For some reason in this area I never see a John Deere even though we have several John Deere dealerships. I know one of them is selling Huster on the side. Maybe just a regional thing but I've never even seen one. They sell plenty of the tractor types to homeowners.

10. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Stamped decks vs. fab deck. JD has all stamped decks. For $8400 you could have had a IS3000 with suspension and a fabricated deck.

As for the bobcat - it's a Bobcat loader. You know the white with orange wheels skidsteer?