Will LED lights.......

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by pete scalia, Sep 11, 2007.

1. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

be the demise of multi tap transformers?

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

not for many years. If nothing else, you'll be able to add more lights @ farther distances now

3. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Carcrz,
    Are you a competitor of John Pletcher's? He owns Natural Accents.

4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

name sounds familiar, he may be on the Kansas side of the city.

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

It is my understanding that some current LED lights work at around 9-14 volts, but not 6 or 7, so I think multi taps will allow you to go further for two reasons- load on wire will be less( less watts ), and the led's will fire on less. multi taps are here to stay.

Only the best LED's are acceptable these days. The new Rebel 0100 from Luxeon is currently the top choice, with the Cree q5 a close second. when many folks actually see these in a 3-array installed, they will start to consider, but probably not buy and install, LED's . The rebel led will bring alot of folks around. it has a warmer tint, and you get alot of lumens for an led.

I would encourage folks to go out and buy a fenix p2d rebel 0100 flashlight for around 60 bucks. you will be shocked at the quality and amount of light coming from this 6 mode light on turbo setting. I'd say it easily exceeds a 10 watt mr-16, probably what a 15 watt narrow spot looks like at 12 volts or so voltage. still pretty white, but not bluish. all in a flashlight the size of my thumb. I use it on demo's for folks who ask about an effect after my lights are already set.

6. Chris J

That's great, and I'm sure the technology will go farther in the years to come. But what is 10-15w going to do for us right now? Other than some specialty lighting on some small stuff, this is just not enough. Is it really worth the hassle to integrate "some" LED along with the LV? Just curious because I have not ventured there yet.

7. David Gretzmier

The fenix p2d rebel 0100 has a single LED, aprox 175 lumens on turbo. most mr-16 arrays have 3 cree LED or about 250-350 lumens, aprox 20-25 watt mr-16. the newer rebel mr-16 array with 3 rebel 0100's will be closer to 350-500 lumens, or 35 watt mr-16.

I wouldn't mix and match led and halogen.

but buying a fenix is a great way to at least look at the lumens, color, and mainly just what LEd can do.

8. Chris J

Thanks for the info Dave. I'm going to look into this stuff to find out what all the fuss is about. What's ironic, is that I've had no customers ask me about it? Maybe this is my fault, or maybe it has just not caught on around here. Either way, it's not an item of necessity and it can wait if need be. I'm looking forward to learning more.
    Thanks again!

9. David Gretzmier

It'll be us that educates the consumer, and It'll be us that will eventually make the switch when the pricing, look and ease of install hits a point that it makes it a no-brainer to go that way. that is probably a few years off, but getting educated is a good way to be out front on the cutting edge.

10. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

might remove the intimidating factor by minimizing voltage drop problems and encourage the entrance of a whole new crop of installers and DIYers alike.