Will my business start to grow now?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jul 3, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

One thing I notice about all the bermuda lawns in the area...they're green before they're mowed and grey to white after they're mowed. It makes no difference if they're mowed by the home owner or a professional LCO...

Unless they're mowed by me!

I've finally figured out how to make a bermuda lawn look better after it's mowed than it did before it was mowed. And this is something that I'd guess 90%+ of my competitors haven't figured out.

I am thinking of printing up some full color glossy door hangers that say something along the lines of Does you're lawn look less green after it's mowed than it did before it was mowed? Then a photo of a normal lawn and a photo of one of my lawns.

This is a real problem here in north Texas. Almost every lawn in the area is grey to white after it's cut.

Here is a photo of a lawn that was just mowed by a professional LCO (not me):

lawncut 070204 1.002.jpg

2. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Here's another photo of a fresh cut done by a professional LCO (not me). It's still fairly green, but this LCO just doesn't get it.

lawncut 070204 1.005.jpg

3. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Here's one of mine:

lawncut 070204 1.007.jpg

4. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Here is one of my accounts. Still green after we cut.

lawncut 070204 1.009.jpg

5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks nice but you are cutting too high. But that is part of the reason the other lawn looks like it does. Yours will catch up to you sooner or later...you will have to keep cutting higher and higher to keep that green look. Proper fertilizer/water and cutting height will minimize the scalped look. Besides..bermuda recovers quickly from scalping.

6. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

The lawn on the right looked just like the lawn on the left before it was cut by one of my competitors:

lawncut 070204 1.011.jpg

7. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Here's one we cut right across the street from the lawn pictured above:

lawncut 070204 1.010.jpg

8. yz250fpilot

yz250fpilot LawnSite Member

It's called rocket science....or raising your cutting height. The others do the same around here....make it nice and white. I raise my cutting height many times throught the season so it never catches up to me, but by the end of the year, the grass is 3.5 - 4 inches tall....but looks good.

9. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

++++Looks nice but you are cutting too high.++++

According to published university guidelines and recommendations, yes, I am.

++++Proper fertilizer/water and cutting height will minimize the scalped look.+++++

It will.?.?.?

++++Besides..bermuda recovers quickly from scalping.++++

Yes, it does. It recovers quickly from MSMA too, but that's doesn't mean that customer like it.

Common sense says that customers want their lawns to look better after they're cut than than they did before they were cut. If you're leaving swirl marks and the lawn is white after you mow it, your saving the customer from a chore. But if you can figure out how to make the lawn look better after it's mowed, then you're doing something a home owner (and most of my competitors) can't do themselves. All of a sudden, I'm not competing as much with "I'm gonna do it myself" because they know they can't.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

10. northerncalibound

northerncalibound LawnSite Member

I agree. I cut all my lawns at 3" and I hate cutting below that mark. I don't really understand why people want their lawns cut at 2.5" and lower. The grass looks way healthier if it is at least 3" tall.