1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

will my equipment work for this

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mowerboy04, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

next year i plan on getting my LLC and get insuared. right now i have a 52" bob-cat and a 36" toro walk behind. is this equipment big enough to mow comerical accounts or should i look into a 61" ztr. i think i will have 3 commerical accounts the biggest being about 7 acers and the smalest being about 2 acers. what do u think
  2. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a lawn thats about 1 acer and it takes 1.5 to 2 hours to mow then trim and then blow off driveway and we are useing a 52" bunton and a 42" crapsman tractor so it your chose but if you have the $$ i would go for the ztr
  3. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I think you need to spend a little more time on your school work. insuared-insured

Just being anal. :waving:

Seriously though, how are you going to get commercial accounts as a minor? You can't sign a valid contract, probably can't get insurance, and I'm pretty sure that as a minor you can't be an LLC.
    Maybe you have a father who will take the responsibility. Not picking on you. Just asking.
  4. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree with u about spending more time on my school work i am not a very good student. and the reason i cut grass because i am good at it and take pride in my work. and i love the feeling of accomplishment that i get when i c how good my lawns look when i'm done. unlike in school where it seems i get little accomplished.
    and yes every thing would have to be in my fathers name and he said he would help me if i could come up with a businss case
  5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I had some pretty nice contracts at 17, The owners had no clue, because of what I drove, and how I presented myself and my business. Nothing about me ever said "KID" when it came to my company
  6. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

Just make sure you use the spell check before making any advertisements.
  7. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I'm sure you did and I can't find fault in your ambition. However, how many actual contracts did you have? If your father signed for you, then your father had the contracts and was only allowing you to do the work, from a legal standpoint. If anything bad happened on site, it would have been your father they came after. They may have been able to come after you too but your father would still be the principle. Do you see what I'm saying?
  8. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Yes, those mowers will be enough. They are not ideal but they are enough.

The question to ask is "Are these accounts worth spending the money on another mower?"

I will assume that you will get about $40 per acre and that you are mowing 11 acres total for 25 weeks. That puts you at about $11,000 per year. That is approximately the same as it will cost you to buy and operate the Z.

Here are good options.

1. Service the accounts with what you have.
    2. Don't take the accounts at all.
    3. Service the accounts with the new Z but make sure that you get 3 times as much work as you currently have so that it is worth it.
  9. steinerman

steinerman LawnSite Member

just don't let your high school days past you by, I was in your shoes just a couple of years ago. Mowing and plowing now, I am 25 and don't know where the good days have gone. yeah I have an really good business built up, but I can't change the past and be a kid again.:cool2:
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

....and good ol' boys were drinking whiskey and rye...........:rolleyes: