1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Will my mower chop an overgrown pasture?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Lawn Yawn, Jun 22, 2012.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not concerned about the mower handling it, but basically finding old fence posts, rolls of wire, etc......

I grew up on a farm and I know all too well what gets left in over-grown lawns/pastures.

2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Wow ur farm must been a messy place lol

3. nolatoolguy

nolatoolguy LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

IDK, I mean its not unusuall to find loose were along fence lines, at least thats my expeiernce from working on a few ranches in louisana. Hit that sucker an that aint to pretty.

4. White Gardens

Thank you.

And think about it. The guy is just buying the place, it's not like he's owned it for years and knows every inch of the pasture.

5. cindyb

cindyb LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

Excellent idea. Was cutting along the fence in our pasture when we first bought it, with a 7ft bush hog, hit barbwire that had been cut and was hidden in the grass. Pretty scary stuff. Our area also has some sink holes. Not good to be surprised.

6. White Gardens

It wasn't uncommon to mow pastures in the summer and find wash outs in the tall grass along with other debris in general.

Even if you thought the place was clean, something would expose itself some way, some how.

7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I am waiting for a follow up with pic's now.

8. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

All good advice. When we first bought our place I used my brush hog to knock down the trails. They were overgrown with weeds and saplings. Starting this year the grass/weeds took over and I can now use my Z to cut it. I just did it last night and took it down from 2' to 5". It's very rough ground. As stated go slow, cut high, and double cut. I only notice a 200 rpm drop. It powers right through it. I'd also suggest picking up a set of G6 blades if they fit your mower. These are by far the best going for both a manicured cut and great disbursal/chopping of heavy growth. Good luck!