Will my name hold me back?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Josh.S, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering if you guys though that my business name would hold me back...

My target customers are pretty much high end properties, with customers that want superior lawn care (at a superior price).

I am planning on doing mass advertising and trying to brand more in 2008, if this name will hold me back I want to change it now while I barely have anything invested in it.

Since I want to brand I am assuming I need to stay away from "lawn care" and such.

If you think that my name will hold me back from my target market, please tell me and if you have any idea's let me know...

Thanks alot...

- Josh

2. Josh.S

anybody??;)

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I'm assuming your company name now is "MOW RIGHT" if so I don't see anything wrong with that. There was a company where I live with a long dramatic name and they sucked! They have since went out of business. It was a "good looking" name but where are they now? Hell, there's another company where I live who's name would scare me,lol and he seems to be doing well, also he's a member in here. What's up CRAZYMOW:waving: :laugh:

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

How large is your business? Is your "high-end" customer commercial accounts, or residential?

If you are small, say <50 accounts, why do you need a name?

I see many posts about needing a name, worried about getting the right logo, etc. And, some of these folks are small operations. The energy would be better focused on the business operations, sound business plan, rather than some of these minor matters.

I am small, less than 50 residential customers, and never had a name, never had a logo. I have more business than I can handle. Consuming my time with a name, logo, etc seems like a waste. Other contractors in my area are the same way, very few have any visible name.

If you are larger, with crews, or working commercial accounts, then the matter is much different.

The lack of response may be because you've provided too little information for anybody to make a constructive comment.

5. Josh.S

I do commercial and residential, about 50 properties per week. I am wanting to plan for growing into multiple crews, ect. So I want the right name for expanding, and not just by word of mouth.

I understand your point that for small operation name and logo doesn't matter. Although I am sorta small, I plan on mass advertising with signs and direct mail in the near future.

If anybody has any questions, feel free to ask.

- Josh

6. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

Around here companies are getting stopped for no name on side of truck. DOT regulations. $200.00 and more fines. They see mowers and equipment an bang. they gotcha. DOT is really hitting hard on the landscapers and lawn care companies right now. I don't have a prob. with it, its like pest control without a lisence.

7. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

that sounds ridiculous! Why in the heck do you have to have a name on the side of your truck if you want to cut grass in your state? What would the fine be? Seems if you have to have a DOT license for a heavy truck or something you could just post the license number on the side and leave the company name off if you wanted to. I can't understand what the law would be that would require a name on the side of the truck....

How many times have you really looked at 18 wheelers going by on the interstate, and seen that many have no company name at all on them or the trailer, just the DOT number and thats it.

8. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Mowright is a cool name. Honestly I don't think it matter much what the name is. Your appearance, the appearance of your truck and tools, is much more important for first impressions.

A guy with the worlds more crafty business name, showing up in ripped up jeans and a " if you can read this, the B1tch fell off " T shirt, with a busted down looking Ford pick up, with a trailer missing a fender and a ripped up looking tailgate, with mowers and tools held together with duct tape...... Well this guy is not going to do as well as the guy with a simple plain name, who is clean cut, has a nice clean truck, shiny trailer and clean mowers that look well taken care.

My think I need to clean up about my image is I need to stop smoking. I feel bad smoking on the lawns and around customers.

9. Josh.S

Thanks for your input, I am repainting the trailer tommorow (at least the floor, and I will repaint the sides when its warm).. and hopefully this winter I can touch up the paint on the decks of the mowers...

Also I do plan to get a newer truck and get signs on it...

10. Josh.S

Well thanks for being honest... and yes I have had this name since I was 12 years old, dragging a push mower behind my pedal bike..

Right now, I haven't really established an identity with the public, only with current customers.

What do you think is a guys think is a good name for branding? I have been planning to put money into adversiting soon, I also found I can get newspaper insert flyers printed and sent out for $62 per 1000. I am thinking next spring of sending out 10,000 or so to try to get my name established a little better, I have also found a couple people that will let me put small billboards near the road infront of their businesses.

If I am putting this much effort into advertising, I need to get a name that is brandable, since I don't even have $100 invest in this name, and basically no identity established with the public. The name change needs to be now or never.

Do you have any idea's if I was going to change?

The services I offer include but is not limited to:

Lawn mowing/trimmer/ ect
    Bush trimming
    contracted fertalizing
    edging
    aerating
    bush removal
    and if asked i would do a little gutter cleaning

My target market is high end residentials and businesses...

Thanks..

- Josh