1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

will my truck do this?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Jarred's Lawn Care, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Jarred's Lawn Care

Jarred's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Ok here it is i own a 2000 chevy single cab short bed with 4wheel drive. I was thinking about putting on a snow plow this year i think i will eaisly make my money back. The thing is my truck only has a 4.3L V6 will it do the job??? I'm only planning on doing drivways and possible a couple small office buildings. I also wonder what would be the best plow for this??? Any info will be greatly taken.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You'll wear it out and have broken stuff by the end of the season. How long has it been since you had your tranny in that truck redone? Because, it will need it. You can scrap that little 6 in the spring, because, without the heavy duty radiator, you'll probably burn that up, too. We won't even MENTION the alternator and charging system.
    My advice? It sounds to me like you have a nice little truck for what you use it for, and with the proper care, it will give you years of great service for your lawn service. You start pushing snow with it, though, and you might as well hang it up. That's just not what that truck's built for.
  3. Jarred's Lawn Care

thanks for the info, i really didn't think alot about the damages that could happen to it. Yeah i like the truck and it looks pretty sharp i plan on getting a gmc 2500 or a f-250 i a couple years though
  4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Your truck will do fine plowing.I have a 1989 Chev 2500 with the 4.3, auto tranny, locker in the rear,with an 8' Fisher. I had the tranny rebuilt last year at 210,000 miles.I would recomend adding a large tranny cooler, rear locker, weight in the bed to offset the plow, and don't plow in over drive.

5. Jarred's Lawn Care

thanks, i just want everyone remember that this is just light jobs and maybe a 3 at the most small buisness complexs. Also what is a good going rate for a 2 car driveway and larger areas???
  6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

go here and do all the reading your little heart desires ----> Plowsite.com
  7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Trust me on this one, I'm an experieced mechanic and plow jockey. The Chevy 4.3 is an excellent engine, it was originally derived from the 350, simply re-designed with 2 cylinders chopped off. Well cared for that engine easily goes 250,000 miles...that's typically 8,000 hours...not bad for a GASOLINE engine if you think about it!!!

Your limiting factors are suspension, gearing, and traction.

The good part is if you have an automatic it is probably the 4L80E, aka 700R4. Not the strongest in terms of towing and overdrive failure, BUT, it has one of the lowest available first gear ratios. Good for plowing.

1) Gearing: Know your axle ratio. If it is 3.08:1, 3.23:1, or 3.42:1 your really should plow in low range.

2) Suspension: This is your real weak point. Your are operating a half ton so it really needs to be beefed up in the front. Air bag suspension will do for intermittant use.

3) Traction: Get a limited slip unit for the rear. Avoid the factory locker it is to abrupt. I recommend the Eaton LSD.

Good tires and a trans cooler are nice too.

8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Avoid the 8.5 plows they get really heavy. You won't need it for small areas.

Just think about if its worth plowing at all and charge accordingly. You are likely to bang up your truck and cause collateral damage to property...it just happens.
  9. BMGLandscape

BMGLandscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

a few driveways it will do okay but forget about parking lots.you will need atleast these types of trucks.both are V8s 4x4.the chevy is a 1/2 and the ford is a 3/4

im000183 (4).jpg
  10. BMGLandscape

BMGLandscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

heres a view of the chevy.we just put timbren load boosters in the front and man when you lift that plow the frontend doesn't even move an inch

im000185 (3).jpg