Will not be as long as it's has been

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nelson, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Have several job offers, but told them all... I want to really
    pursue my own thing. One thing about being in the Transportation
    Industry. It is nice to know that you still have a job in this Industry if you have a good name.

For all who are wondering "what the hell is he talking about"
    is that my Job "is"closing down..

It is funny how things seem horrible , but it's really not.

I put Door Knob Hangers out from NEBS+ some Flyers,
    cards etc. etc. and I have had calls .
    Well it's a start & I have just started advertising.

I am not trying to BOAST or nothing, but with any
    "Common sense " Someone can do this business
    & profit from it.....

If the cards are played right........
    Thanks to LS + all the input...

PS. With Severance pay + Vacation pay & the Wife behind me
    100% + her having a good job + the good LORD behind me
    I CANNOT go wrong.:angel:

2. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Care to share any results??

Number of door hangers placed?
    Number of Flyers placed?
    Number of calls resulting?
    Number of new accounts?

Any way that you can share the creative?

Best of luck and thanks in advance.

Jeff

3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob2: even with all your "common sense", this is a difficult business to do and profit. you will learn something everyday, all the common sense in the world will not get the slow payer to pay,the equiptment to run right, and the employees to show, do there job, and be honest. the common sense will not pass the pesticide test, choose the right chemicals, what to spray and when to spray. i quess i took the common sense thing to heart, nothing against you but many people think they can come out and mow and be merry, there is alot more to it if you want to be a respected company or some guy with a mower and a weed whip. i have plenty of common sense but i still had to pass a pesticide test, go to seminars to keep my license valid, and plenty of trial and error w/ chemicals. not trying to discourage you but it bothers me when people say all i need is common sese to sucseed, it helps but not the answer. Tony

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Always pursue just 1 more potiential client. The very next one might be the jackpot.

The more you can make people see your name, the better off. Even if its not right away. Someone, somewhere will screw up and they will remember your name.

Keep hustling, its all part of the fun.:)

5. Nelson

No..... General Grounds did not mean it that way..
    Geeeeeeeeeeeez I knew someone will get upset.
    I guess I should say cutting grass only? Hell I do not
    know what to say anymore. With out someone getting
    mad?

OK................ I JUST KNOW I WILL MAKE IT IN THE LAWN SERVICE CUTTING GRASS ONLY BUSINESS.

Can't we all get along ????????????????????

6. Your situation is a lot like what I went thru. 35 years old, job moves away. Family to care for.

It's just that it happened to me 20 years ago.

I see nothing that General Grounds posted to take offense to.
    It's good advice I wish I'd had at that time.

I've stuck to cutting. I've became as big as a solo cutter can be, I think.

They even made me wear a name tag that said "CUTTER" one year at the lawn EXPO in Louisville.

I'm now 55, and will be testing for my applicators license this year! Not the best way to do it.

Don't cheat yourself by being too timid.
    Want to cut grass, wade right in!
    You'll be fine!

Just dont pass up opportunity to prepare yourself with skills, knowledge and equipment. Make fiiends, learn sources of supplies and materials.

The more you commit yourself to this, the better you will do at it.

BTW I now consider loosing my job at the phone company one of the best things that has ever happened to me.

Dave

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

nelson--we are an online community here at lawnsite. kind of like brothers and sisters in a way.

whenever you post something here you may get an answer to you question or you may get completely flamed for even asking the question.

and lots of times members will give you a response that has nothing to do with your question.

people like to give their opinions on things just because most of us are like that. I have to include myself in this category.

bottom line...posting here is a worthwhile effort. there is lots to be gained.

just keep posting and pretty soon you'll get as thick skinned as the rest of us.;)

good luck.

GEO

8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Nelson
    You do have to watch a little about how you word things and what you say. It's hard for someone to get the real meaning of what you say without hearing your tone of voice also. We all take things that one says in a different fashion so you will definately get some different responses.

You actually are correct to a large degree that common sense will help you succeed at this or anything. If you have any amount of intelligence you can make anything work, and best of luck to you also.

The one comment you made that stands out to me is the fact that you stated "with severance pay, vacation pay, the wife behind me 100% and having a good job, and the lord thing, you cannot go wrong". That's great, but when the severance pay runs out, and the vacation pay is used up, you are going to have a different set of numbers in front of you on how to pay your bills. The wife may get tired of carrying the load at sometime also.

I wish you no hard feelings and I hope the best for you, but sometimes certain things do seem offensive to others, that at the time, may know better than perhaps you do. We don't really know your personal financial situation and can only make assumptions based off your statements. I'm sure things will work out great for you and I'm sure you realize it isn't going to be a cake walk, and if you think it will be, you'll find out the truth, and continue on your way. Good luck and happy mowing!

9. Nelson

Randy Scott,

I am aware of everything you posted. I have made a deal
    with myself to do the Lawn business full time. It is a perfect
    oppurtunity @ this time.

The Wife will "never" have to carry the complete load.
    If it does not work out , then I will get a job in the same
    feild(Transportation Industry).

And do it part time until next season.

That's all I was saying. Thanks for the input though...

I am allright as far as Income coming in for now. Trust
    me I thought this hole thing out...

;) Pressing Forward !!!!

10. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: hey guys i don want to come off like a loud mouth, nelson good luck, really, nothing against you in the least. its like when you do a landscape for a customer and the nozy neighbor comes over and asks how much and you tell him the obvious higher price and they say for this, i can to this, or that same person says your price is to high i'll call someone else you guys are a dime a dozen it just steams me. i went to my high schools 10 year reunion 3 years ago, i was the one with the new car and so on and meet up with old friends and they ask what i did, and i said i was a landscape and they reacted oh you cut grass, how hard can that be. i hope you and the others understand where i am coming from, believe me i meant no harm by my post. Tony