Will not offering fall cleanups lose customers?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rdelahunr, Nov 18, 2012.

1. rdelahunr

rdelahunr LawnSite Member

They've got nothing on the hockey team.

2. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

We used to get several neighborhood friends to help during fall...
    If your serious about growing,you'll maybe want to reconsider...I missed out on high school sports to work...helped prepare me by instilling a 'can do' work ethic...had my dad and brother along..those times are priceless to me...I regret not playing sports a little....went to college to get away from lawn mowing...later came back to see what I could make of it...
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Senior Member

Based upon what you have said about your family and finances, at the minimum you need to get some liability insurance. Just to make sure you don't loose the college funds and the family business. Getting free advertizing from the family business, would make them look like a business partner to any attorney so first and foremost, have a sit down with dad and his attorney. You could offer to barter advertizing with an independent agent and cover the costs. That was the dad in me talking. Good luck and success to you.

4. rdelahunr

I believe I will mow the radio station in exchange for ads. I am not serious about expanding as this is a 3 or 4 year gig.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. rdelahunr

And yes, I will be purchasing insurance.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

Where in MN do you live?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. rdelahunr

Park Rapids, an hour south of Bemidji, or 45 minutes east of Detroit Lakes, or an hour and a half east of Fargo.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. JContracting

Ah ic. I know where that is. I just couldn't see the location when I was posting on my phone.

9. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

it might cost you some, 95% of my customers want me to do a fall clean up. and the ones that don't and do it themselves eventually come around. I almost force them into it due to the way I break down the cost of the clean up into each mowing starting in october. some are cheap and will just pay me to bag the leaves on the lawn and call that good, but only 1 or 2. eventually those customers will get dropped if they don't comply. same with bi-weekly customers either they get on the fertilizer bandwagon and have a nice lawn or get off my mowing route. I hate cutting dust bowls with almost no lawn.

10. JContracting

I agree with you RSK on the fert & basically full service plan otherwise screw em. Its almost not worth my time.
    Posted via Mobile Device