Will not shut OFF?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by cglservice, Jun 25, 2003.

1. cglservice

cglservice LawnSite Member
    from Ky

Small problem here well to me it is not but anycase.
    I am not in the irragation thick of it i have one custumer that has
    a ESP-16LXI controller with fourteen zones in operation,things have been operating very well lately but have come up with this one problem i have a zone that the only way to shut it off is by killing the power to the pump by circuit breaker,even turning the controller box to the off position will not stop it.

I have done a total reprogram and still it will keep running when you turn on power.

Bad contoller?
    Bad selenoid?

Need Advice Thanks
    Michael E
  2. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

The reason water is still flowing has to do with the valve. When you shut off the pump, you essentially shut off the water supply to the valves. When you just shut off the clock, you're only preventing the valves from coming on at it's designated time. The way to troubleshoot it would be to locate the valve that controls the zone always running. Easy to do by feeling which valve is letting water through when you turn the pump on. Then simply replace the solenoid and diaphram (the guts of the valve) and try it. Don't forget to turn off the water supply or you'll get hosed.
  3. cglservice

from Ky

Thank You Jeffy for the info,I will check it out makes since NOW.

Now if i just had a place close for parts now that would be great,
    Closest ting would be Lowes or Home Depot 40 miles but with my luck lately they will not have what is needed.

Thanks again
    Michael E
  4. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

How'd it go? Were you able to fix the problem?
  5. cglservice

from Ky

Hello Jeffy
    Yes and no, I unplug the power from the controller and it ran
    for about thirty seconds and then shut down, was something rainbird had sent me in a email.
    I also did do a flush out by takeing the end cap off of the line
    at the valve, put everything back together and it work like a charm
    for a couple days and has started doing it again??
    It is a PGA160 and i was looking on rainbirds site they did not list it they showed a 150 and i think it was a 200.
    So i guess i am going to need to pull it all apart and see whats going on.

Oh yes the backup battery has gone dead to(9volt NI CAD)

Michael E

PS I just love this kind of work
  6. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

Take the top off the valve that wont close. I bet youll find some junk, maybe a rock in it.
  7. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

If you are pumping out of a lake or somehting it could have sukcked up some trash and it is preventing the diaphram from sealing. Better chance its a piece of teflon tape stuck in there. Take apart the vavle and check. Before that try taping on it when it is not shutting off. If that helps there might too much water running thourgh it and a smaller vavle shold have been used. Does the valve have flow control onit if it does you can turnthat down a little. but my bet is if it works fine for a while then goes south it is trash in the line. A filter should help that.
  8. Flasprinkler

Flasprinkler LawnSite Member

You probably have a bad valve diaphram in the field or constant voltage tfrom the terminal strip in the clock.