1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Will not start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by WALKER LANDSCAPE, Nov 19, 2006.

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a echo 403 that just quit running on a leave clean-up. It has spark compression and it is getting fuel. Does anybody have a clue what I might be looking for to trouble shoot. When it died the work said it bogged down and died. I tried to start it and the cord was jammed but eventually released.
    Any advise or tips appreciated in advance.:confused:
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You're likely not going to like what I have to say, but I've seen this more than once over the years.

And so...
    My first suspicion is someone put straight fuel in the tank (not meaning to, but).
    There's no way to confirm this as it likely wasn't done with intention, hence there exists no knowledge.
    But it would explain the engine seizure, which eventually relieves after some persuasion.

The first thing I would do, if you want to be 100% sure, is to syphon out all 2-cyclers running mixed fuel, then properly dispose of all the mixed fuel and start fresh... This would help in the case that it is the mix fuel having been improperly mixed in the first place, which could also be the culprit.
    IF you can narrow down the mix fuel to one can and perhaps one or two pieces of equipment, that would help.

Other notes:
    If you do get it started (it should start if you're persistent, I've done it), run it carefully because it will fail permanently in short time, usually the block will crack and a small / broken engine part could go flying and cause injury.
  3. richard1103

richard1103 LawnSite Member

check jug(head) it might need to be tighten if you see oil on motor

Just went out to the shop and gave it a quick once over, and found the air filter missing. Do you think some leave debris of dust got sucked into the carb? The blower runs on another creww so I will have to ask them if they have any idea how it is MISSING now. Thanks for the replies:waving:
  5. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

No AIR FILTER, your either seized or you have dirt in your carb! Take the carb off and clean it out! I have the SAME model blower, and it's happened to me more than once, (although Mine had an air cleaner)

Although, are you sure that the pull cord was jammed or was the PISTON seized in the cylinder and just freed up after some tugging? Does it seem to spin over pretty easily when you pull the cord or is it a little harder to pull?
  6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

That was my thought:(
  7. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Same thing happened to my hedgers , piston was siezed up so i had them short block it i am solo so i know it wasnt the gas damn thing just seized up for what ever reason. the more i think about it and use the stuff the more i think echo products are becoming increasingly the biggest pieces of junk commercial 2 cycle stuff on the market

It is trying to turn over but still will not start. I will check the carb tonight. thanks for the replies
  9. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

yea its probably dirt in the carb. if it was seized it wouldnt even turn over
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I have never had an Echo seize unless it had gas without oil in it. Many many echo units and none of them failed. I use echo 2 stroke oil. If you had put oil in the spark plug opening immediately after your unit seized you probably could have saved it. You have to take the rope starter off so you can force it to turn. It messes up the cyclinder but I have had 2 of 2 start back up and run for a couple more years of high use.