Will ortho Crabgrass killer & fertilizer used at the same time burn my grass?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by RValenci, Jul 29, 2006.

1. RValenci

RValenci LawnSite Member

Rather than use a weed and feed, the only weed pretty much is crabgrass to which the weed & feed doesn't kill..... (unless you know a weed and feed that will and that would be great)... so can I safely put Ortho Weed Be Gone crabgrass killer and spray on problem grass only, then fertilize the entire lawn at the same time, or will that encourage burning in the treated area?

2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

As long as you apply according to label directions, no they won't burn. And there is no granular product for mature crabgrass.

3. KENLUDE97

KENLUDE97 LawnSite Member

Would pulling the crabgrass out by hand help prevent it comming up in the future? Or should i just break down and spend the $ on chemicals. This is just a SMALL yard that i'm working on (myown)

Thanks.

4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

if you only have a small amount pulling by hand would work for now. but you will want to thicken up the lawn with a couple fall feedings and over seeding thin areas, next spring use a fertilizer with a pre-emergent. mowing the grass high helps too!

5. KENLUDE97

KENLUDE97 LawnSite Member

Yes i have been doing what i can when i can to improve this lawn. It was VERY neglected when i bought the place. So i'm trying to bring it up to "snuff".

I fertalized last fall, and i had a lot less weeds in the spring. I guess that i need to throw down some summer fertalizer with weed control?

I do overseed any bare spots too.

Thanks for the help.