Will pre-emergent harm Crocus flower?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by walker-talker, Mar 5, 2005.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I put down my first round of pre emergent yesterday and left the SOS on the door. Client calls and says "oh no, will it kill my crocus flowers?". I told her I would investigate. I am assuming not. She said she planted about 40 of these crocus bulbs throughout the front lawn.

Any help?
    Matt

2. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

First of all -- Good answer Matt -- always best to find the answer. I will give you a few ideas.

#1 -- not sure which preemergent you are using -- this would effect it because differnt pre-emergent have differnt modes of action. I'll give feedabck on Dimension -- my product of choice and what I tend to use the most.

It is not labeled as safe with crocus -- but it is labeled for similar flowers such as daffodils and tulips. This would tend to suggest safety with crocus.

I will share my personal expreience -- a few years ago I secretly planted several hundred crocus in the yard of customer in the shape of a heart. Outlined in blue and filled in with red. It was a spring surprise for the clients wife for their March anniversary. They come up every year and are then jsut mowed off with the grass and are gone by late march.

I have applied dimension to this yard each year with trouble.

Hope this helps.

Bottom line though -- if her crocus aren't perfect this year -- it is your fault :)

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Great....(I say that sarcastically)! I will now have to call her back and give her the bad news. She said that she had them years ago and they were killed out by someone that applied a broad-leaf herbicide. I assured her that I did not apply a broad leaf herbicide. Before I call her back, you say they are not perfect, does that mean it actually killed some of them out completely or just stops the sprouts from sprouting just die out before they even have a chance? BTW, it was Dimension .10% that was applied.

Thanks....you have been very helpful.
    Matt

4. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

No -- my post must not have been clear --

In my expereince Dimension has had no negative effect on the health of crocus plants.

...but -- because of the reality of our business -- anything that goes wrong is usually the OUR fault. Whether it is or not.