Will PreM damage or stunt?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HustlerZman, Mar 20, 2005.

1. HustlerZman

HustlerZman LawnSite Member

I have a new customer that had bermuda sod installed in November. The grass never has taken root due to going dormant. Will fertilizing with Lesco's PreM damage or stunt the growth of the bermuda?

2. HustlerZman

Any help would be nice !

3. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

Preemergents are all rooting inhibitors except for Ronstar which is not labeled for residential use. Fertilize if the lawn is coming out of dormancy but I don't recomend the prem

4. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

You can always get the crabgrass with Aclaim if it shows up later.

5. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

All good advice -- fertilize for the sod -- kill with post if anything gets through.

6. HustlerZman

Thinks for all the advice! I am headed over there in just a few minutes.

Thanks again...

7. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

We have 5-6 inches of snow on the ground.

8. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess you are gone by now...but I wouldn't do anything to it right now.

I live close enough to your area to know that the Bermuda is not coming out of dormancy just yet. Ronstar would be great to use if it wasn't a residential lawn.

When it gets more than 50% green, hit it with some N. Spraying weeds during the greenup period is generally not a good idea. Use caution with post products until it becomes well established.

9. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

My understanding about Dimesnion is that is doesn't prune the roots, like pm, etc.

10. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Dimension does cause root pruning to some degree, but not quite as bad as Pendimethalin.

The bottom line is that the most commonly used products (pm, dimension, barricade) only perform marginal root pruning when applied at the correct rates. UGA found that overdosing with any of these can cause problems.