Will rain damage an electric clutch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Jun 14, 2005.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

After cutting through a complete dumping of rain last Friday, I was wondering something. I was cutting in the pouring rain with my Toro 36" Proline WB with a manual blade clutch, and while doing so, I was wondering if mowing in the rain with my Bob-Cat 48" WB with the electric blade clutch, would damage the clutch at all? Thanks in advance.

2. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

If it did a lot of people would be hurting big time.Manufactures of your equiptment are not going to be sending you out with something that can't handle a little rain,unless you have a belt drive and that is a different story.

3. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Mowed in light/medium rain during TS Arlene with Toro wb with electric clutch. No problems except had to slow down a gear.

4. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

mkwl, the only problem you will have with getting the electrical clutch wet is rust. Generally, the clutch itself will get hot enough and through friction, keep rust from it's surface, but water will find it's way through wires and plugs, etc., eventually corroding anywhere it can come into contact with the bare metal surfaces and you will lose your good connections and start to experience electrical gremlins plaguing your machine. Solution? smear dielectric grease (made for electrical connections and available at all parts stores, trailer supplies and maybe even your dealer if they deal in plows) over all your connectors and ends, use heat shrink covers when you replace connectors, solder where you can and always make sure that if you do strip a wire, you go back to clean wire. Regularly protecting your electrical is just like doing maintenance on your grease points. Keep it clean and protected and it will last twice as long.