1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

will roundup kill ferns?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jay albers, Oct 3, 2011.

1. jay albers

jay albers LawnSite Member

the customer wants all those ferns gone and grass there.

Told them we had to kill the ferns then bring in topsoil

I may also make the suggestion to make it a flower bed, Rather just mulch it then deal with the soil.

wondering if roundup will wipe them out.

2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Sound like you are spraying with out a license If you had one then you would know the answer you are asking
  3. jay albers

thanks bud
  4. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, RU will knock them out.
  5. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

There are products intended for "woody stemmed" plants that might work better. Google, "woody plant herbicide" or something like that and start your search
  6. jay albers

did the search, garlon 4 came up a couple times, pretty pricey.

roundup came up also, I'll probably go with that.

thanks guys
  7. Roundup has no carry over. It'll kill anything green & growing up to the woody stemmed category.
    The ones in the pics look pretty yellow. Are they gone already?
    Snyder's right you know. Don't get caught spraying pesticides without a license. It's legal for the homeowner to kill them, just not a contractor.
    Not saying you're not licensed, just stating the facts for whoever's reading this.
  8. lakesregionscapes

lakesregionscapes LawnSite Member

Since RU has to be actively absorbed through the leaves, to reach and shut down the metabolism in the roots, I doubt it will work on these plants at this time of year. The fronds look pretty much gone dormant, and aren't going to transport anything to the root system, no matter who does the spraying...
  9. jay albers

There starting to die out already. I'm here in the poconos and its been really wet and this week it was in the 40's a couple nights.
  10. jay albers

it may be a spring project,

can i spray that whole area before they come up and kill them off in the spring? Right before they come up i mean