Will S10 Pull Enclosed?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Husky03, May 17, 2006.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2.8L V6 Chevy S10. How big of an enclosed trailer can I tow. The trailer will have 1 or 2 ZTR's in it. I realize I will not move quickly, but will it be able to handle it for a little while? I currently tow a 7'x10' open trailer with 1 ZTR with no serious trouble other than braking issues when wet.

Thanks...

2. jblawns123

jblawns123 LawnSite Senior Member

Those 2.8L were weak motors. The early carb versions even worse. You will be putting the final nail in the coffin pulling an enclosed trailer with it.

But is you must 6x12 is the largest I would go.... But the problem will be brakes. Single axle trailers don't come with brakes.... Get a dual axle with brakes and then you will be pulling even more that you can't handle.

Stick the truck on ebay and but a suitable truck for towing.

3. Husky03

The engine is fuel injected. The truck has 80,000 mile on it and is in perfect condition. I will not be able to afford a new ZTR and truck this year. The trailer needs to come before the ZTR, but the truck should come before both.:cry: Also, some of the single axle enclosed do come with brakes. Thank you for the help. Any more welcome.

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

NO, esp with 2 Z's in it........PLUS more importantly it won't STOP it either.

5. Husky03

How much trouble will I have pulling a 7'x14' open landscape trailer.

Thanks...

6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 6 x 16 open trailor and tow with a Tundra V8. I had a single axle before the double axle and there is a BIG differnece in towing with double axle. Even though it is heavier it tows much better. Now to answer your question when I have just one z on the trailor the truck tows effortlessly, with both there is a big differnece. It still tows fine but you can tell its back there and you better not have to stop in a hurry. A S10 would be in big trouble trying to tow what you want to tow and Im affraid also would be dangerous to. I tried to tow mine with a toyota small truck similar to yours and when you got over 30 it was scary and the temp needle started going up real high. You might could get by with a small trailor but not an enclosed with 2 z,s on it. I will say I have seen some around here pulling large trailors but they were going real slow and the truck sounded like it was hurting big time when it pulled off from a dead stop.

7. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

NO.................................

8. efaubert1

efaubert1 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I wouldn't, not enough truck to fight a wind block, the weight, and the fact that the truck probably isn't even rated to tow that much.

9. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm only 15, but we have towed our 18 ft boat single axle, no brakes, 120 miles, it was slow, and slow stopping. But I only have the 2.2 l and, a manual tranny.

I also pulled a 14ft open trailer w/ brakes...Pulled fine, and stopped fine.

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I used to have a 2.8 S-10. I would tow a small ditchwitch with it (2,000 lbs or so) on a real tiny trailer.

Even with that, braking was somewhat scary.