1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Will Salt completely kill grass and weeds?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Petr51488, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

There's this place that i do and the guy wants some ideas of getting rid of the grass/weeds. Roundup is allways an option, but that will be my last resort. I mowed part of it today.. It's about 8 feet tall. (the area that i mow is right next to the building) Does anyone know of a granular chemical that i can put down that will kill the entire area? It got me thinking.. after every winter.. the are of grass along the streets is almost always dead at some houses. Reason being is because the plows push the snow along with the salt up onto the grassy area right on the street. IF i spread salt all over the area.. do you think that will kill it for good? Or is there some other way of approaching this?
  2. buddhaman

buddhaman LawnSite Member

If you mix a pound of table salt with a gallon of white vinegar and spray that, it will kill it within days.
  3. Petr51488

from NJ

Im kinda trying to stay away from spraying. If it did come down to spraying it, i would most likley use roundup but, your idea might work. - Peter
  4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I would use Pramatol, its a soil sterilant and you can spray it with a back pack sprayer
  5. Petr51488

from NJ

Once again.. IM trying to stay away from spraying for now.....
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, but how will you spread the salt in this 8-foot tall jungle?

As for me, I'd use the Wb and charge double the regular price for the quick and dirty job...
    Quick and dirty means running over it until it's all cut, clumps are clumps and thank you.
    Trust me, it still takes a while.

4x the regular price if they want it all clean and neat looking too.
  7. Petr51488

from NJ

Yea.. thats what i plan on doing it.. I allready did 1/3 of it.. Once its mowed i would then put down the salt or chemical. Quick and dirty.. just how it was done.. as long as its mowed down and level..he's happy..
  8. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, there exists very inexpensive granular agents to control for unwanted growth. I had a flyer yet I disposed of it as I use Sahara for my sterilization.
    Regarding your reticence to spray, why?
    Any granular sterilent, actually anything used in a commercial manner must be applied according to state and federal label guidelines - otherwise you are exposing yourself to a great deal of trouble.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

why are you so oppesed to spraying?
  10. Petr51488

from NJ

Not really opposed.. just want to use it as a last option. Spraying that will take some time, and im not 100% sure that it will keep the grass and weeds killed until the end of the year.